Elsewhere – Harvard withdraws from Ivy Council

By Taylor Walsh

Columbia Daily Spectator (Columbia U.)

(U-WIRE)-When the Ivy Council gathers for its fall conference at Cornell University this November, don’t expect to see all the Ivy League schools represented. Harvard has officially withdrawn its delegation, and the jury is still out on if and when it might return.

Last spring, the Harvard Undergraduate Council passed a resolution to withdraw its delegation from the Ivy Council, citing the frequent absenteeism and lack of professionalism on the parts of the other member universities as its main reasons for leaving.

Harvard’s departure leaves a conspicuous absence in a group designed to unite the small confederation of schools, and it may weaken the council’s influence and credibility.

The purpose of the Ivy Council, whose delegates are mostly student council members at their respective schools, is to provide a forum for undergraduate leaders to network and compare notes on common issues. It also functions as a lobbying group with the power to pass resolutions stating a common stance on university-related issues.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...