Cassette is quality and quantity

Each year has its own perfect summer soundtrack, the kind of music that blends seamlessly with the bells of ice cream trucks and the nighttime songs of cicadas.

The 2005 edition, Cassette’s Beautiful California, has come out just as the summer is dying, but that’s no reason not to listen to it. After all, in Miami it’s always summer.

Recorded over several months on a laptop by UM student Devin Smith and released on his own label Atomisk Records, Beautiful California subscribes to the notion that brevity is the soul of wit, with 35 tracks spread over 36 minutes. Delivered in bite-size, easy to chew chunks, the tunes include everything from irresistible sunny instrumentals to party songs in unusual time signatures to love ballads for inanimate objects.

Sequenced with the catchiest songs at the front, the most intricate songs in the middle and the mood pieces at the end, the album flows effortlessly from track to track, the product of five days spent deciding the final song order.

Brimming with whimsical humor, rhythmic complexity and inventive sonic touches, its ambitiousness never gets in the way of a memorable melody, with sing-along choruses practically hurling themselves out of the speakers.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...