Cassette is quality and quantity

Each year has its own perfect summer soundtrack, the kind of music that blends seamlessly with the bells of ice cream trucks and the nighttime songs of cicadas.

The 2005 edition, Cassette’s Beautiful California, has come out just as the summer is dying, but that’s no reason not to listen to it. After all, in Miami it’s always summer.

Recorded over several months on a laptop by UM student Devin Smith and released on his own label Atomisk Records, Beautiful California subscribes to the notion that brevity is the soul of wit, with 35 tracks spread over 36 minutes. Delivered in bite-size, easy to chew chunks, the tunes include everything from irresistible sunny instrumentals to party songs in unusual time signatures to love ballads for inanimate objects.

Sequenced with the catchiest songs at the front, the most intricate songs in the middle and the mood pieces at the end, the album flows effortlessly from track to track, the product of five days spent deciding the final song order.

Brimming with whimsical humor, rhythmic complexity and inventive sonic touches, its ambitiousness never gets in the way of a memorable melody, with sing-along choruses practically hurling themselves out of the speakers.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...