Sweat Records brings some indie to Miami’s glamorous aura

MJ Hancock, the singer of Miami band Awesome New Republic, appeared

to be bleeding profusely from the lower half of his face, bright red driblets of perspiration flowing down his neck and bare chest. “You have to wait until Halloween before they start selling sweat-proof face paint,” he explained. “It’s a good time.” It was an evening of blood, sweat and butterfly wings at Sweat Records on Friday, Sept. 2. A crowd of more than 250 gathered in the back lot to watch four bands comprised entirely of UM students and alumni. As the captive audience clapped and sang from roofs of cars and danced the Hoo-dee-hoo, there was a tangible feeling of excitement in the air, a chemical reaction set in motion by the resonant frequencies of the speakers.

The catalyst for the seemingly overnight explosion of homegrown talent is Sweat Records, founded a year ago by recent UM graduates Lauren “Lolo” Reskin and Sara Yousuf. Started to “provide Miami with a local music source worthy of its inhabitants,” Sweat features an extensive collection of works by local musicians and visual artists, an almost nightly series of concerts, and a monthly book club where people gather to discuss Naomi Klein’s No Logo and other highbrow fare.

The concert on Friday was a perfect showcase for the impact Sweat has made in less than a year. “I can’t remember the last time I saw this many people at a local show,” Reskin said.

The evening began with ANR’s MJ Hancock and former drummer Bob LaDue performing as Purslipping, coaxing otherworldly sounds from two TV sets, a CD player and their heavily processed voices, plastic disguises obscuring their faces.

Next was Cassette, a five-piece outfit that played UM music student Devin Smith’s recently completed album of 35 songs in 36 minutes in its entirety. The rhythm section of Richard Hargett and Rajan Purcell effortlessly handled the complex time signatures as Devin sang catchy songs about ladybugs, cartographers and his computer, pink fairy wings sprouting from his back.

By the time the Dead Hookers Bridge Club, Miami’s champions of punk, had arrived, a sizeable crowd was on hand to shake their hips and fists to instant classic “Hung Like Whales.” The band ended its set with the “Hoo-dee-hoo,” a dance invented by ANR’s MJ that got the entire crowd doing the twist and the mashed potato.

ANR, about to embark on a month-long tour, played last, stirring the crowd into a frenzy with their chaotic soulful anthems. During “Tape They Don’t Want You to See ,” MJ tossed a plastic dismembered hand into the audience, hitting a dazed girl squarely in the face. A nearby fan picked up the hand and raised it defiantly in the air, like the flag of a new movement, a declaration of creative independence.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...