Students unite to help Hurricane victims

It was standing-room only as more than 250 students packed the UC Ballrooms Tuesday to unite in their Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts. In a meeting organized by the Volunteer Services Center (VSC), Keith Fletcher, director of the VSC, facilitated an endeavor to coordinate all of the student organization ideas to put together larger, more organized hurricane relief events.

Fletcher stressed that all relief efforts and money collecting must be coordinated through the VSC in order to keep credibility of the events and prevent misuse of funds.

“We will tally it and give the appropriate credit to your event,” Fletcher said. “We don’t want the right hand to not know what the left hand is doing.”

All fundraising initiatives will be done through the University’s United Way Campaign. The University is asking that all checks be made out to either United Way or American Red Cross, with “Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund” written in the memo line.

The biggest push for relief will come on Sept. 30, which is now being called “Hurricane Relief Day.” The whole day will be dedicated to raising money for hurricane victims, beginning with a bake sale and cultural show and ending with ‘Canes Night Live.

“I was overwhelmed [by the meeting],” Javier Del Busto, president of the Association of Commuter Students [ACS], said. “There was a huge turnout. I’m very pleased with the fact that there’s a lot of sharp ideas and we’re heading at it from a lot of different angles.”

Students formed tentative committees at the end of the meeting, with ideas pouring forth from students, ranging from benefit concerts to teddy bear collections.

“A lot of kids lost everything and we’re hoping we can give them some sort of comfort,” King De, Hurricane Relief evening chair, said.

There was also talk of a possible Alternative Fall Break trip to the disaster sites to help with relief efforts. A talked-about trip to Mississippi or Louisiana this weekend will not be sponsored by the University.

For more information on how to get involved with the ongoing relief efforts, please call the VSC at 305-284-GIVE, email kfletcher@miami.edu, or visit www.miami.edu/hurricanerelief.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...