Songs for Silverman falls just short of spectacular

Ben Folds’s sophomore effort of his solo career had fans hopeful with the release of his crowd-pleasing single, “Landed.” The heartfelt and moving song enjoyed airplay this summer, but alas, a complete album one glorious song doth not make. Songs for Silverman, while on par with Folds’s work with his now-defunct band, falls short of expectations that were raised sky-high with the release of his 2001 album, Rockin’ the Suburbs. In his first foray as a solo act, Folds showed he was capable of perfection, which sharply contrasts with this CD rife with disappointing, bland filler songs.

When a listener is familiar with Folds’s usual fare of insightful lyrics, literal tracks that lack poeticism are inexcusable letdowns. Case in point: While tunes like “You To Thank” and “Sentimental Guy” sparkle with his characteristic virtuosoquality piano riffs, they can’t compare to the supreme caliber of Rockin’.

Folds does manage to redeem himself with a handful of fantastic tracks: the profound “Jesusland” unapologetically critiques the syndrome of waning individuality in small-town America, and “Bastard,” the roll, coming-of-age disc-opener. And, to his defense, all of his songs sound nice and could easily serve as soothing background noise.

But most unsatisfactory is the last track of the CD, where Folds compromises the content of the entire album by tacking on a second, strings-fortified recording of “Landed.” While gorgeous strings enrich with new ebbs and surges in song flow, this version is essentially a duplicate song that wastes play time on the album.

Most artists-scratch that, most people-experience the “sophomore slump,” when a second effort doesn’t quite measure up to past work. Hopefully, Ben Folds has already moved past his Songs for Silverman lull to keep producing the musical greatness his fans know and love.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...