Facing mixed feelings over a gay sibling

I think that my brother might be gay. It’s not that I care or anything, and I really don’t have that much evidence, but I think that it’s kind of strange. I have no idea why I’m thinking like this because I have a lot of gay friends. I just think that it’s weird. I feel kind of like a hypocrite for feeling this way, but I can’t help it.

Gay Brother?

Dear Reader,

Well, I think that it’s kind of cool that you’ve decided to actually deal with your feelings regarding your brother’s sexual orientation as opposed to bottling them up and completely denying that you are weirded out by your brother’s choice in partners. I’m sure that your reasons for feeling this way are warranted because you have already decided to welcome people (i.e. your gay friends) of different walks of life into your own. Perhaps you’re worried that your brother will face unending bouts of discrimination and be treated poorly by those who can not take the time to accept others regardless of their race, sexual orientation, gender or religion. I am certain that there are people out there who would deny that those of sexual and racial minorities must still battle bigots because we, as a collective whole, have been brainwashed to believe that we live in a tolerant and “civilized” country where the melting-pot ideology prevails; it’s a fallacy, we still have a lot of work to do here.

Before I get sidetracked on some political strand, I think that there are tons of things that you can do to both let your brother know that you are completely accepting of him and his lifestyle and to acclimate yourself to a life with your gay sibling. Your definite first step is education, but I’m not saying that you should familiarize yourself with irksome statistics. Robert Gottieb’s book, Side by Side: On Having a Gay or Lesbian Sibling, is one that might be able to help you learn from others who have been in your shoes. On that note, you should probably brush up on your ability to empathize and to picture life from another’s perspective. It also might be helpful to discuss your brother’s sexuality with him, with other members of your family and even with a therapist.

If you still are having problems coming to grips with your brother’s lifestyle, you must rely on time to help you. Like anything else that seems puzzling, time (and occasionally effort) is the only soother. However, the passage of time is not an excuse to give into your “weirded out” feelings, and if you refuse to stave off those nasty feelings you’re hardly supporting your brother.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact O’ The Day…Internationally, Baywatch is the most popular television show in history…yeah, Hasselhoff! Oh wait, a twofer…condoms are six times thicker than plastic wrap.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...