EDITORIAL – Napster: It’s back, in case you missed it

Students can no longer add classes, we made it through Hurricane Katrina, and we played and lost our first football game, yet most students on campus are still waiting for their Napster service to kick back in.

New freshmen, graduate, law and medical students who weren’t offered Napster last year have had the ability to enjoy full versions of their favorite songs since Aug. 22, but many returning undergrads have been frustrated with the 30-second tease Napster Lite currently offers them.

Despite Napster not working for so many students, not a word has come from Student Government, the Information Technology department or the Office of Student Affairs on what the problem is. This has left many students assuming that this service, that was so hyped last year, is now defunct.

So what is the status on Napster? Napster technical support initially blamed the problem on UM IT for not giving them the list of eligible users. UM IT hadn’t heard anything about there being a problem, let alone it being their fault. Student Government President Pete Maki said he had received a few e-mails from students, but no popular outcry. Meanwhile, Student Affairs thought the service, which it is currently paying for, was working normally. Basically, nobody really knew there was a problem. And students either figured we were cut off from Napster, or maybe they just reverted to their former illegal file-sharing days. Or could it be that people just don’t miss Napster that much. If that’s the case, then why are we spending so much money on it?

This mix-up and waste of nearly three weeks of listening time for people who do appreciate the service could easily have been avoided by doing one thing: communicating. One of the great perks of being a UM student is getting free stuff-music, movies, laundry, shuttle rides to the Grove. While the student body is sometimes thought of as being generally better off than many other campuses, there are still enough typical starving college students here that should be questioning when one of their freebies is taken away. And the administration could have sent a simple e-mail with re-registration instructions at the beginning of school to avoid this whole issue.

To their credit, the minute the issue was brought to their attention, Student Affairs was on the phone with Napster working to resolve it. It seems the solution to the problem was quite simple-re-registration. Students who used UM Napster last year simply need to go to https://spartan.tel.miami.edu/napster and follow the directions. New users can go to miami.edu/napster to download Napster and register. Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...