Culture

E X T R A

OFF TO THE ISLE

Bob Denver, the actor who played Gilligan in Gilligan’s Island, died this
week at the age of 70. Denver, who was the star of the popular ’60s TV
show, died of terminal cancer.

THE BIG EASY ISN’T SO
EASY

New Orleans has seemingly started to bounce back from the destruction of Hurricane Katrina, complete with a new name, now known as N.O.

SCREEN STAR
DOWNSIZES

From the big screen to the small screen, Oscar winner Charlize Theron
will be joining the cast of Arrested Development on Fox. Theron has
signed to play the love interest of lead star Jason Bateman. The new season premieres on Sept. 19

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...