Briefs – MEN’S TENNIS * SOCCER

Men’s Tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team was one of only six teams in the nation to boast at least four players in the 2005 Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles rankings released Tuesday by the ITA.

UM junior and 2005 All-ACC standout Josh Cohen topped the Miami list with a national No. 20 ranking. Junior Luigi D’Agord, an All-SEC transfer from Alabama, followed just behind Cohen at No. 26. Senior Tim Krebs, who finished the 2004-05 season second on the team in total wins (20) to Cohen (23), is ranked 62nd while fellow classmate Eric Hechtman drew the 100th spot in the country.

Second-year head coach Mario Rincon and the Hurricanes joined 2005 ACC Champion Virginia, 2005 SEC Champion Florida, 2005 Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams in the country to have at least four singles players included in the ITA’s preseason rankings.

The UM quartet was also ranked in the preseason doubles rankings with the tandem of Cohen and D’Agord drawing the No. 32 spot and Krebs and Hechtman duo coming in at 50th.

The ITA preseason rankings will stand as the official individual rankings for the entire fall season until the next official rankings released in January 2006.

Soccer

Rachael Rigamat of the University of Miami women’s soccer team has been named the SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week for her performance last week, which included a two-goal outing in Miami’s 3-0 upset over 14th-ranked Princeton.

Rigamat, a freshman midfielder from La Crescenta, Calif., helped lead the Hurricanes to a pair of wins over the week, downing in-state rival Florida Atlantic in addition to Princeton to claim the title at the 2005 Miami Tournament.

Against the Tigers, Rigamat netted the game-winner for UM in the 64th minute when she fielded a pass from Akilah Moore in the box and spun past a defender to turn and score past Princeton keeper Maren Dale. She added another goal in the 75th minute after fielding a ball at midfield and dribbling in past two Princeton defenders to score.

The SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week is awarded to the top collegiate player from a Florida school for his or her performance during the previous week.

Rigamat and the Hurricanes will return to action this weekend when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. to take on host Indiana and Marquette at the Hoosier Classic.

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...