Briefs – MEN’S TENNIS * SOCCER

Men’s Tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team was one of only six teams in the nation to boast at least four players in the 2005 Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles rankings released Tuesday by the ITA.

UM junior and 2005 All-ACC standout Josh Cohen topped the Miami list with a national No. 20 ranking. Junior Luigi D’Agord, an All-SEC transfer from Alabama, followed just behind Cohen at No. 26. Senior Tim Krebs, who finished the 2004-05 season second on the team in total wins (20) to Cohen (23), is ranked 62nd while fellow classmate Eric Hechtman drew the 100th spot in the country.

Second-year head coach Mario Rincon and the Hurricanes joined 2005 ACC Champion Virginia, 2005 SEC Champion Florida, 2005 Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams in the country to have at least four singles players included in the ITA’s preseason rankings.

The UM quartet was also ranked in the preseason doubles rankings with the tandem of Cohen and D’Agord drawing the No. 32 spot and Krebs and Hechtman duo coming in at 50th.

The ITA preseason rankings will stand as the official individual rankings for the entire fall season until the next official rankings released in January 2006.

Soccer

Rachael Rigamat of the University of Miami women’s soccer team has been named the SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week for her performance last week, which included a two-goal outing in Miami’s 3-0 upset over 14th-ranked Princeton.

Rigamat, a freshman midfielder from La Crescenta, Calif., helped lead the Hurricanes to a pair of wins over the week, downing in-state rival Florida Atlantic in addition to Princeton to claim the title at the 2005 Miami Tournament.

Against the Tigers, Rigamat netted the game-winner for UM in the 64th minute when she fielded a pass from Akilah Moore in the box and spun past a defender to turn and score past Princeton keeper Maren Dale. She added another goal in the 75th minute after fielding a ball at midfield and dribbling in past two Princeton defenders to score.

The SoccerFLA.com Player of the Week is awarded to the top collegiate player from a Florida school for his or her performance during the previous week.

Rigamat and the Hurricanes will return to action this weekend when they travel to Bloomington, Ind. to take on host Indiana and Marquette at the Hoosier Classic.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...