UMNEWS – University of Miami’s economic impact grows to $3.9 billion

The University of Miami pumps $3.9 billion into the local South Florida economy, according to a study conducted by the Washington Economics Group. With more than 10,000 employees, it is now the largest private employer in Miami-Dade County and the sixth largest employer overall.

“The University of Miami is inextricably linked to this wonderful and diverse community-and as a key intellectual and economic force, we are committed to its continued advancement,” said University President Donna E. Shalala.

In the city of Coral Gables, the University of Miami is the most important economic enterprise, with a total impact of $1.1 billion. Approximately 40 percent of the University’s total payroll budget is paid to employees who live in the city. In addition, the University enhances the quality of life for residents, inviting neighbors to participate in athletic, educational, and cultural activities on its suburban, tropical campus.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...