UMNEWS – University of Miami’s economic impact grows to $3.9 billion

The University of Miami pumps $3.9 billion into the local South Florida economy, according to a study conducted by the Washington Economics Group. With more than 10,000 employees, it is now the largest private employer in Miami-Dade County and the sixth largest employer overall.

“The University of Miami is inextricably linked to this wonderful and diverse community-and as a key intellectual and economic force, we are committed to its continued advancement,” said University President Donna E. Shalala.

In the city of Coral Gables, the University of Miami is the most important economic enterprise, with a total impact of $1.1 billion. Approximately 40 percent of the University’s total payroll budget is paid to employees who live in the city. In addition, the University enhances the quality of life for residents, inviting neighbors to participate in athletic, educational, and cultural activities on its suburban, tropical campus.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...