Elsewhere – Calling card educates students about rape

August marked the second year that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has offered calling cards that provide a critical message about preventing rape. DOH’s “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” campaign proved successful last year, with more than 125,000 cards distributed to Florida college students both on campus and at spring break locations.

Young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 represent more than a fifth of all victims of rape and sexual assault, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experienced completed or attempted rapes during their college years.

The miniature cards feature the words, “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” The free minutes of local or long-distance air time can be used through any phone service provider. When students activate their cards, they hear a 30-second message about sexual violence prevention, as well as a toll-free telephone number to local programs providing victim services and prevention education.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...