Elsewhere – Calling card educates students about rape

August marked the second year that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has offered calling cards that provide a critical message about preventing rape. DOH’s “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” campaign proved successful last year, with more than 125,000 cards distributed to Florida college students both on campus and at spring break locations.

Young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 represent more than a fifth of all victims of rape and sexual assault, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experienced completed or attempted rapes during their college years.

The miniature cards feature the words, “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” The free minutes of local or long-distance air time can be used through any phone service provider. When students activate their cards, they hear a 30-second message about sexual violence prevention, as well as a toll-free telephone number to local programs providing victim services and prevention education.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...