Elsewhere – Calling card educates students about rape

August marked the second year that the Florida Department of Health (DOH) has offered calling cards that provide a critical message about preventing rape. DOH’s “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” campaign proved successful last year, with more than 125,000 cards distributed to Florida college students both on campus and at spring break locations.

Young adults between the ages of 18 and 21 represent more than a fifth of all victims of rape and sexual assault, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experienced completed or attempted rapes during their college years.

The miniature cards feature the words, “Rape. Talk About It. Prevent It.” The free minutes of local or long-distance air time can be used through any phone service provider. When students activate their cards, they hear a 30-second message about sexual violence prevention, as well as a toll-free telephone number to local programs providing victim services and prevention education.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...