CD REVIEWS – Houston Calls offers no surprises to punk

A few years ago a headline in The Onion said something like, “Mid-90s Punk Fan Criticizes Punks of Today.” Tongue in cheek, yes, but also telling -punk has undergone so many permutations since the halcyon days of CBGB’s that it’s often hard to remember what it was like in the first place.

Houston Calls are some of those “punks of today,” and though their recent release, A Collection of Short Stories, is tightly packed with spot-on harmonies, sophisticated lyrics and catchy choruses, the whole effort comes off a little forced.

The crux of the original punk aesthetic was that anyone could pick up a guitar or some drumsticks and start a band, a lack of a record deal or even rudimentary musical skills non-prohibitive. The new aesthetic is more concerned with a crisp, studio-polished sound and a slick video on MTV2. The punks of old still have their acolytes-the University of Miami’s Dead Hookers Bridge Club, for instance-but Houston Calls falls squarely in the latter category.

Punk derives excitement from its volatile unexpectedness. The Dead Hookers ending a show chanting “dink drink drink drink die die die die” as they inadvertently pull their own power supply out of the socket is pure chaotic exhilaration. A Collection of Short Stories offers no such surprises.

I once saw a documentary on the early days of punk in New York City, and a 20-year-old female interviewee said, “When I listen to punk it kind of makes me want to kill my mother.” Houston Calls is more melody than matricide. Good for mothers, bad for punk.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...