CD REVIEWS – Gabe Dixon Band shows talent, unique sound

Back in the 80s, Ben Folds was enrolled in the University of Miami’s jazz program, thanks to a stellar drum set audition tape. His live drumming wasn’t nearly as good, however, and after losing his scholarship he threw his $27 drum set into Lake Osceola and left for North Carolina.

Gabe Dixon, often compared to Ben Folds, had better luck. He and his bandmates all received degrees from Miami’s music school and were signed to Reprise/Warner Bros. after moving to Brooklyn, their tight live sound honed by countless performances at the Wesley Coffeehouse.

The Gabe Dixon Band’s Live at World Caf

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...