Wider options, slimmer waistlines

The next time you grab a quick meal at the dining hall before heading to South Beach, you may just eat a meal from South Beach Diet. At the end of last semester, Chartwells Dining Services added a “South Beach Diet” label to some of its items.

The South Beach Diet was developed by a cardiologist named Arthur Agatson, who practices here in Miami. The diet was developed to meet the needs of cardiac patients who needed to lose weight without suffering ketosis. Dr. Agatson then publicised the diet’s success in the book South Beach Diet, a national bestseller.

“We use the South Beach identifier to bring attention to healthy options,” Mel Tenen, director of auxiliary services, said. The diet involves choosing proper carbs, like whole grains and certain fruits and vegetables, lean protein and the right fats; this includes olive and canola oil which offer adequate amounts of mono- and polyunsaturated fats (as opposed to saturated and trans fats). The diet preaches high intake of grains and large amounts of vegetables. However, it discourages consumption of overly refined foods like flours and sugars.

“It’s an honest effort by Chartwells to serve healthier food,” Su Luo, sophomore, said.

Items in the dining halls from South Beach Diet include Greek salads, fresh omelets with mushrooms and cheese, and savory chicken.

“We want to offer a healthy diet with variation,” Magnus Meekins, executive chef of Mahoney/Pearson dining hall, said.

The dieting part of the South Beach Diet comes in three steps. The first step involves eliminating cravings for unpreffered carbs by not eating grains or fruits and trying to eat foods with a low glycemic index such as whole grains instead of flour.

Recommended items are lean meat, fish, eggs and plenty of vegetables. The second step introduces whole grains and fruit. Finally, phase three involves maintenance of weight by consuming whole grains and three servings of fruit a day.

But the South Beach Diet doesn’t necessarily mean going on a diet. Students can use the signs to indicate the most health apealing and nutritious items at the dining hall.

“It’s been successful over the years and it’s broken down with all the nutrition you need and people are getting success out of it,” Rob Canavan, manager of Mahoney/Pearson Dining Hall, said.

Nisha Shah can be contacted at n.shah@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...