UMNEWS – Hurricane research has early successes

The Rainband and Intensity Change Experiment (RAINEX) began its research this weekend with Hurricane Katrina and became the first hurricane research project to fly planes nearly simultaneously inside and outside the hurricane’s principal rainband, gathering information that will help understand hurricane intensity change significantly.

RAINEX is studying the interaction between hurricane winds and rain, using data recorded from hurricane research flights.

For six weeks of this year’s hurricane season, two NOAA P3 aircraft, along with a U.S. Navy P3 aircraft, will fly simultaneously into hurricanes before making landfall. The aircraft use Doppler radar to record wind speed and direction, temperature, atmospheric pressure and other data.

RAINEX features expertise from the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science, the University of Washington, the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the U.S. Navy. The National Science Foundation (NSF) provided $3 million to shed light on how and why a storm changes in strength in a matter of hours.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...