THE MATCHUP

QUARTERBACK Kyle Wright has been working with Miami’s first team offense since Spring practice, while Florida State hasn’t named a starter between two red-shirt freshmen, Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford.

RUNNING BACK Tyrone Moss will start in the backfield for the first time in his career on Monday, weighing 14 pounds lighter than last year. FSU returns what might be the best running back duo in the country in Leon Washington and Lorenzo Booker, who combined last year for 1,838 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns.
WIDE RECEIVER Willie Reid is the top name in the FSU lineup and has garnered enough attention to be on the cover of the new EA Sports NCAA 2006 videogame. Miami comes in with a hungry corps of wide receivers and arguably the best tight end in the country in Greg Olsen, with abilities for underneath routes and catching the deep ball.
SPECIAL TEAMS The wildcard name in FSU’s kicking game will be the new starting place-kicker, sophomore Gary Cismesia. Will he be the next name to have the terms “wide-right” or “wide-left” attached to his career? Miami punter Brian Monroe has become a weapon while place kicker Jon Peattie is expected to be in top form after battling injuries in 2004.
OFFENSIVE LINE David Castillo returns for his final year as a veteran Seminole on a line that is starting two sophomores. The most experienced on the Miami side is a lineman that should be on the Outland Trophy watch list if he remains healthy in left tackle Eric Winston. Returning a line with players that all saw playing time last year gives Miami the edge.
DEFENSIVE LINE Defensive end Kamerion Wimbley was named as one of the captains for FSU and anchors a line that has a lot to prove this year returning only the right side in Wimbley and Brodrick Bunkley. Miami has everyone returning to a defensive line that dominated the ‘Noles a year ago. The ‘Canes are virtually two-deep at every spot on the line and have the ability to wreak havoc in the FSU backfield all night.

LINEBACKERS A.J. Nicholson, Ernie Sims and Buster Davis will have to carry the workload for FSU, but leadership could be lacking due to arrests and other legal troubles over the summer. Miami has what could be the deepest group of linebackers in the program’s history with Tavares Gooden, Leon Williams and Roger McIntosh potentially starting.
SECONDARY The season-ending ACL injury to Antonio Cromartie hurts FSU big time. Two other seniors return but only one has playing experience, as strong safety Kyler Hall was red-shirted last year due to injury. The Miami secondary returns everyone except Antrel Rolle, but like every other group on Miami’s defense, the secondary has substantial depth.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...