Elsewhere – Bill would limit credit for students

By Elaine Fabian

The Daily Iowan (U. Iowa)

(U-WIRE) IOWA CITY, Iowa-Students’ college years can provide opportunities to develop credit for the years ahead, but the U.S. House of Representatives is reviewing a bipartisan bill that may limit college students’ credit growth.

Rep. Louise McIntosh Slaughter, D-N.Y., and Rep. John Duncan Jr., R-Tenn., introduced a bill to keep creditors from taking advantage of young, full-time college students.

If approved, the federal bill would restrict the credit limit of students under 21 unless parents agree to assume joint liability. In addition, such students would be allowed to have only one credit card at a time. Students without sources of income would not be able to get credit cards, regardless of a parents’ willingness to co-sign.

Opponents of the bill argue that the government shouldn’t have the right to limit students’ credit.

Under the bill, college students under 21 would not be able to earn credit limits that exceed 20 percent of their annual gross incomes unless parents co-sign.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...