Elsewhere – Bill would limit credit for students

By Elaine Fabian

The Daily Iowan (U. Iowa)

(U-WIRE) IOWA CITY, Iowa-Students’ college years can provide opportunities to develop credit for the years ahead, but the U.S. House of Representatives is reviewing a bipartisan bill that may limit college students’ credit growth.

Rep. Louise McIntosh Slaughter, D-N.Y., and Rep. John Duncan Jr., R-Tenn., introduced a bill to keep creditors from taking advantage of young, full-time college students.

If approved, the federal bill would restrict the credit limit of students under 21 unless parents agree to assume joint liability. In addition, such students would be allowed to have only one credit card at a time. Students without sources of income would not be able to get credit cards, regardless of a parents’ willingness to co-sign.

Opponents of the bill argue that the government shouldn’t have the right to limit students’ credit.

Under the bill, college students under 21 would not be able to earn credit limits that exceed 20 percent of their annual gross incomes unless parents co-sign.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...