Cross country teams boast young, deep squads

Cross country is working its way to being a prominent program at the University of Miami. Each year brings a stronger and bigger group of runners for both the men’s and women’s teams.

“This is the deepest group by far,” senior Alex Brutvan said. “We have seven freshmen, which is compared to the roster of six guys when I started my freshman year.”

The men’s squad is made up of 16 runners. In a four-year span, that is quite strong growth for a sport. The expansion on both sides has greatly increased the excitement among the runners and makes them believe that they will be a part of something special down the road.

“We want to try and focus on moving towards the middle and gradually move towards the top over five years,” Brutvan said.

A big factor this year for the cross country team is youth. Along with the seven freshmen on the men’s side, the women will have five freshmen runners.

“We are looking for dedicated people that want to improve,” said senior Melanie Schultz.

The amount of freshmen on both sides almost equals the total roster when both Schultz and Brutvan began running for the University of Miami. The hope among the team is that the trend will continue and more athletes will be interested in cross country.

Among those freshmen, Eric Miller and Andrew Chuplis have stood out among their teammates as runners that can step in right away and contribute. The general feeling, however, is that there is raw talent that needs to be developed so the freshmen can be assets throughout their four years at UM.

The women’s cross country team is led by Schultz, who was an All-South Region performer last season. The only other returning senior is Melissa Preston.

The men return two seniors, Brutvan and James Mullaly, as well as junior Tomas Berry. Brutvan and Berry were the top two finishers for the Hurricanes last season.

“We brought in a number of guys [who are]not elite, but pretty good,” said men’s Head Coach Mike Ward. “Eric Miller was the No. 6 runner in Texas and Ryan Woodlee looks pretty good. We hope these guys pave the way to get better kids at the university.”

The Hurricanes know that they have a tough second season ahead of them in the ACC.

“[The ACC] is one of the top conferences,” Brutvan said. “We didn’t do so well last year, but we have some experience now and we know how competitive it is.”

The cross country team will begin its season in West Palm Beach in the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish Invitational on Saturday.

Denis Brown can be reached at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...