CD REVIEW – The Decemberists take an adventure with latest album

At first listen, those unfamiliar to The Decemberists will be distracted by lead singer Colin Meloy’s piercing voice, which falls somewhere between a nasal drone and a full-fledged wail.

But listen harder, and one will find that Picaresque, the band’s third full-length album, sparkles like a jewel, rich with unconventional sound and lyrics that tear at one’s soul.

The songs that comprise this disc are ballads; not in the boy-band-song-slower-in-tempo-than-“I Want It That Way” sense, but as the traditional music class definition of a narrative poem intended to be a folk song. The instrumental side of the album pulls the listener into a European setting circa 1850, with a pleading violin in “We Both Go Down Together” and a feisty accordion in “The Mariner’s Song,” a nearly nine-minute track that was recorded during a live performance.

Meloy, who doubles as the Decemberists’ frontman and remarkably erudite songwriter, skillfully weaves poignancy through his lyrics in the tales of lost love that frequently pepper Picaresque. Most notable is the haunting “Eli, The Barrow Boy,” about a desperate, poverty-stricken lover which evokes the feel of a small-town ghost story. Another track with a tortured-heart protagonist is “The Engine Driver,” which is sure to speak to any lovelorn creative writing major.

Picaresque isn’t all heartbreak; on the lighter side are “The Sporting Life” and “Sixteen Military Wives,” marked by catchy tempos that manage to make their somewhat biting messages seem good-natured. For those indie-appreciators looking for something great, Picaresque has the whole package. The Decemberists have managed something rare: a melding of refreshing musicality, cerebral poetry and penetrating emotional appeal, all in one glorious compact disc.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...