CD REVIEW – The Decemberists take an adventure with latest album

At first listen, those unfamiliar to The Decemberists will be distracted by lead singer Colin Meloy’s piercing voice, which falls somewhere between a nasal drone and a full-fledged wail.

But listen harder, and one will find that Picaresque, the band’s third full-length album, sparkles like a jewel, rich with unconventional sound and lyrics that tear at one’s soul.

The songs that comprise this disc are ballads; not in the boy-band-song-slower-in-tempo-than-“I Want It That Way” sense, but as the traditional music class definition of a narrative poem intended to be a folk song. The instrumental side of the album pulls the listener into a European setting circa 1850, with a pleading violin in “We Both Go Down Together” and a feisty accordion in “The Mariner’s Song,” a nearly nine-minute track that was recorded during a live performance.

Meloy, who doubles as the Decemberists’ frontman and remarkably erudite songwriter, skillfully weaves poignancy through his lyrics in the tales of lost love that frequently pepper Picaresque. Most notable is the haunting “Eli, The Barrow Boy,” about a desperate, poverty-stricken lover which evokes the feel of a small-town ghost story. Another track with a tortured-heart protagonist is “The Engine Driver,” which is sure to speak to any lovelorn creative writing major.

Picaresque isn’t all heartbreak; on the lighter side are “The Sporting Life” and “Sixteen Military Wives,” marked by catchy tempos that manage to make their somewhat biting messages seem good-natured. For those indie-appreciators looking for something great, Picaresque has the whole package. The Decemberists have managed something rare: a melding of refreshing musicality, cerebral poetry and penetrating emotional appeal, all in one glorious compact disc.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...