Volleyball aiming for improvement in 2005

The women’s volleyball squad will spike into action next weekend at the Houston Tournament.

Houston is the first of three preseason tournament sites for UM before the Hurricanes begin their second regular season in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

After finishing 2004 at 17-9, the Hurricanes are ranked seventh in the ACC’s preseason poll.

“We definitely want to place higher than we are now,” said junior setter Jill Robinson. “Our goal is to place in the top two, and of course we want to go for first.”

The team has been working throughout the off-season to prepare for upcoming challenges and remedy errors that surfaced last season; errors that cost them important matches.

“We’re doing a lot of ball handling and passing. We feel confident when we’re having strong days, which will be a key for us,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “We have some high goals and we’re making a lot of strides in the gym right now.”

The ‘Canes are feeling more confident in the conference, with their first year of ACC matches completed. They will feel less uncertainty with the knowledge gained from experiences in 2004.

“We’ll be more familiar with the gyms and the styles of play, but at the same time, they’ll be more familiar with us,” Lantagne Welch said.

Last season, the team encountered challenges on the road, only managing a 6-5 record. The ‘Canes have been working on the weaknesses that prevented them from finishing the tight scoring matches.

Robinson said the Hurricanes were working toward developing a killer instinct that would help the squad dominate in the end of matches.

“Since we are playing double round robin, we have to stay focused in every game to the end,” Robinson said.

Valeria Tipiana will be greatly missed this year after graduating in the spring of 2005. The seasoned veteran was a crucial part of the successful squad and filling her shoes will not be an easy task.

“A sort of committee, I would say, will be used to replace Valeria. She’s not really a player that can just be replaced,” Lantagne Welch said. “Offensively, to shoulder the load she carried, I will be looking to Karla [Johnson] and [Francheska Savage].”

Lantagne Welch said she noticed improvements in several players, including Ashley Woods, a red shirt freshman at the outside hitter position, whose entire game has significantly matured throughout preseason practices.

“I’m really excited about this season because we have new [players]and a lot of people who didn’t see the court as much last year,” Robinson said. “It’s a different group of people and I’m looking forward to seeing how we work together.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...