Elsewhere – Study appears to link lack of sleep, weight gain

The Daily Iowan (U. Iowa)

(U-WIRE) IOWA CITY, Iowa-Late night venti frappacinos from Starbucks and large pizza deliveries might no longer be to blame for the dreaded Freshman 15.

Weight gain has now been linked to sleep deprivation, according to a report from the recent North American Association for the Study of Obesity conference. When a person is sleep-deprived, the level of the hormone leptin, which is involved in the regulation of appetite, is lowered. In turn, low leptin levels increase appetite.

College students should get nine hours of sleep a night, James Clack, the retired Duke University psychological services director, said in a telephone interview.

However, college students are among the most sleep-deprived Americans, averaging only six hours of sleep a night.

Kathy Mellen, a dietitian for Student Health Service, believes that more than hormone levels can be attributed to college weight gain. Weight can be altered by sleep deprivation, but an unhealthy diet can also affect how much a college student gains, she said.

“Students turn to food to keep up their energy when they are up late studying,” she said.

Duke University has attempted to help by eliminating 8 a.m. classes this fall in order to aid students in obtaining the recommended nine hours of sleep. Clack said most classes now fall between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...