CD REVIEW

The product of numerous aborted recording sessions, rewrites and obsessive-compulsive attention to the slightest sonic detail, Andrew Bird’s latest solo album is as intricate lyrically and musically as the whimsical illustrations by Jay Ryan that accompany each song in the CD booklet. A quick study of the artwork-pictures of flaming livestock, a boy with an upside down head, and an automobile with an elephant trunk -lets you know you’re in for an atypical listening experience.

Bird’s primary instrument is the violin, but here he plays everything from a twangy Telecaster to a glockenspiel. Mysterious Production of Eggs is orchestral pop, but not in the traditional sense. Instead of merely layering some string parts over a basic rhythm track, Bird uses his rich tonal palette to produce a variety of odd swells and squelches that appear out of nowhere and then blend seamlessly with his sweet vocal melodies and nuanced lyrics.

Instead of a traditional chorus, the songs contain memorable repeated phrases such as “there will be snacks, there will” and “it’s a nervous tic motion of the head to the left.” Stream-of-consciousness yet meticulously structured, they transport the listener to a surreal world of twitching tango dancers and post-apocalyptic carnivals with pony rides and dancing bears. There’s a point to all of this, of course, you just have to dig a little below the veneer of absurdity to find it.

Andrew Bird has always demonstrated a finely honed lyrical wit and expert musicianship, but with his fifth album he’s finally hit his stride. Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs is a true gem-one of those rare albums that continually reveals new treasures with every listen. The treasure map might be confusing at first, but once you find the big red X-jackpot.

MattGajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...