Briefs – BASKETBALL * VOLLEYBALL

Men’s Basketball

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will play 14 games against teams that reached postseason last season, highlighted by visits from 2005 NCAA Champion North Carolina, and intrastate rivals Florida and Florida State.

Miami opens its 2005-06 season at the BCA Classic hosted by the University of Washington, November 13 to 15, in Seattle, Wash. Miami will face Texas-Arlington in the opening round. Host Washington won the Pac-10 tournament title last season and was a No. 1 seed in the 2005 NCAA tournament. Others competing in the eight team tournament include Air Force, Morgan State, UNC Greensboro, Northern Arizona and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Miami opens its 2005-06 home schedule against Morgan State on Nov. 19. Miami’s difficult non-conference schedule includes trips to Temple (Nov. 27) and Michigan (Nov. 29), a battle against Florida at the Convocation Center (Dec. 22), and matchup with Final Four participant Louisville in the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Basketball Classic, Dec. 31, at the National Car Rental Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Miami opens ACC play at North Carolina State on Dec. 18. The Hurricane’s ACC home opener will be against Maryland on Jan. 7 at the Convocation Center.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball team capped off their preseason training with a 3-0 win over the alumni in their first-ever alumni match Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Hurricanes completed the sweep, 30-20, 30-19, 30-19, in the best-of-five match.

The Hurricanes were led by middle blocker Francheska Savage and outside hitter Karla Johnson, who both turned in double-digit kill efforts. Savage also tallied six total blocks including two block solos. Johnson registered a team-high 15 digs followed by libero Kaitlin Kozak who tallied 10 digs. Setter Jill Robinson led all players with 37 assists.

The alumni team was compiled of former players Mallorey James, Marcella Gamarra, Christina Hernandez, Ashley Youngs, Leyre Santaella Sante, Robin Lewullis and Carrie Frash.

They were led by Santaella Sante, who tallied nine kills, James who dished out 22 assists and Gamarra who tallied 11 digs.

The Hurricanes open the season at the Houston Tournament September 2-3. They will face Arkansas State on Sept. 2 at 5:00 p.m. (CST) in their first match of the 2005 season.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...