Briefs – BASKETBALL * VOLLEYBALL

Men’s Basketball

The University of Miami men’s basketball team will play 14 games against teams that reached postseason last season, highlighted by visits from 2005 NCAA Champion North Carolina, and intrastate rivals Florida and Florida State.

Miami opens its 2005-06 season at the BCA Classic hosted by the University of Washington, November 13 to 15, in Seattle, Wash. Miami will face Texas-Arlington in the opening round. Host Washington won the Pac-10 tournament title last season and was a No. 1 seed in the 2005 NCAA tournament. Others competing in the eight team tournament include Air Force, Morgan State, UNC Greensboro, Northern Arizona and Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Miami opens its 2005-06 home schedule against Morgan State on Nov. 19. Miami’s difficult non-conference schedule includes trips to Temple (Nov. 27) and Michigan (Nov. 29), a battle against Florida at the Convocation Center (Dec. 22), and matchup with Final Four participant Louisville in the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Basketball Classic, Dec. 31, at the National Car Rental Center in Sunrise, Fla.

Miami opens ACC play at North Carolina State on Dec. 18. The Hurricane’s ACC home opener will be against Maryland on Jan. 7 at the Convocation Center.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball team capped off their preseason training with a 3-0 win over the alumni in their first-ever alumni match Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex.

The Hurricanes completed the sweep, 30-20, 30-19, 30-19, in the best-of-five match.

The Hurricanes were led by middle blocker Francheska Savage and outside hitter Karla Johnson, who both turned in double-digit kill efforts. Savage also tallied six total blocks including two block solos. Johnson registered a team-high 15 digs followed by libero Kaitlin Kozak who tallied 10 digs. Setter Jill Robinson led all players with 37 assists.

The alumni team was compiled of former players Mallorey James, Marcella Gamarra, Christina Hernandez, Ashley Youngs, Leyre Santaella Sante, Robin Lewullis and Carrie Frash.

They were led by Santaella Sante, who tallied nine kills, James who dished out 22 assists and Gamarra who tallied 11 digs.

The Hurricanes open the season at the Houston Tournament September 2-3. They will face Arkansas State on Sept. 2 at 5:00 p.m. (CST) in their first match of the 2005 season.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...