Words of wisdom: Dalai Lama speaks to students on world peace

The message was simple: love, compassion, respect, appreciation, a sense of community. Those are the things that bring humans closer. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, spoke to 6,000 people from the University of Miami community in September on “A Human Approach to World Peace.”

“We welcome him as a man of vision and compassion. We welcome him as a vision of peace,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said.

Before he began, the Dalai Lama received an honorary degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, honoris causa, from the University.

“Your teachings inspire us to examine our own lives,” Dr. Shalala said before turning to the audience. “Please welcome UM’s newest alumnus, the 14th Dalai Lama.”

“I don’t know if I will do anything great, but I assure you that I will not disgrace the University,” he said as he accepted his degree.

Many students felt that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“I’ve heard from a lot of people that it’s a life changing experience. I wanted to experience it for myself,” Chris Wong, second-year medical student, said. “It will be cool to tell my kids I saw the Dalai Lama in person.”

The Dalai Lama’s speech was positive, emphasizing inner values and advocating non-violence.

“War is actually a concept of ancient times,” he said. “Use of force to resolve conflict is out of date.”

He said he believes that the world is more connected today than it was a century ago.

“The whole world is just like one entity,” he said. “Destruction of your neighbor is like destruction of yourself.”

Today, the Dalai Lama said, people desire peace. Environmental movements, knowledge of science and the importance of human emotions have resulted in positive changes in the past century.

“Proudly speaking, I think the world is improving, so your future is brighter,” he said. “Humanity is becoming more mature.”

After his speech, the Dalai Lama answered questions submitted by students at an earlier date. The questions ranged from the importance of religion to gender equality.

Jackie Hechtman, junior, had her question about terrorism answered.

“It was definitely an honor because a leader of world peace addressed my question,” Hechtman said.

In response, the Dalai Lama said that he wrote President George W. Bush a letter after the tragedy of Sept. 11.

“The best way to counter terrorism is a non-violent way,” he said. “Change achieved through force or fear is only temporary-in the long run it is counterproductive.”

He said the war in Iraq may be helping for now, but he is not sure about the long run. “Only history will show if violence will bring something good,” he said.

At the end of his talk, the Dalai Lama spoke directly to the students in the audience

“While you are developing your brains, there is no point to ignore inner values,” His Holiness said. “Knowledge alone does not guarantee a happy life.”

The Dalai Lama’s final words centered on realizing one’s goals. To him, the only failure in life is losing hope.

“Eventually, you will achieve what you want.”

Reeva Oza contributed to this article.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...