Culture

Watch movies in style at the Cosford Cinema

When was the last time that you stepped into a movie theater complete with velvet curtains and plush red seats? Welcome to the Bill Cosford Cinema, the University of Miami’s very own movie theater. Located on the second floor of the Oscar E. Dooly Memorial Classroom Building, the Cosford Cinema is run purely by students in the School of Communication, making many different movies available to a range of age groups.

Built to service students, the Cosford Cinema devotes Wednesdays of every month to screening box office hits to students free of charge at 8 and 10 p.m. Although the screenings are behind their actual theater debut, students can still feel the tension of The Aviator and the comedy of Caddyshack. By simply showing a UM student ID, students have free access to most movies showed at the Cosford, including the many independent and foreign films that play on repeat during the weekends. Some of these films carry awards from renowned festivals such as Sundance and Cannes.

Furthering the availability of films shown in the theater, the Cosford participates in the Miami Film Festival and supports student films, exhibiting works of film students in our very own ‘Canes Film Festival. Delivering on-screen entertainment to the student body, the Cosford is a University original.

Tickets are $4 for UM employees with ID and $6 for the general public and free for students. For movie times call 305-284-4861.

CINEMATIC ARTS COMMISSION FALL MOVIES PREVIEW

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...