UMX classes: Open your eyes to the ultimate University experience

In the sometimes-chaotic world of college life, it is important to develop the skills needed to sustain your academic and social education throughout the next four years. The transition from high school to college, or from college to college, brings forward many issues for all students. You can breathe easier knowing that UM has support services in place to make the transition as smooth as possible.

The UM Experience course has been developed to blend academics, leadership, learning, networking and community building skills to enrich your collegiate years. Building a solid foundation during the first year is key to a successful college career.

“This course helped me learn the strategies and techniques to be a successful college student,” Chris Igtiben, a former UMX student, said.

In small class settings, with prominent faculty and administration members as mentors, new students receive one-on-one instruction. One of the objectives of UMX is to provide students with a working knowledge of the university’s academic requirements, advising system, various degree programs and policies and procedures of the institution. Specifically, students are exposed to campus leadership opportunities, academic and career planning, UM traditions, study abroad opportunities and personal wellness programs, just to name a few activities.

UMX is designed to provide students new to UM with effective strategies for academic success and enriched opportunities for understanding the variety of human cultures, values and perspectives that a university offers. The course seeks to assist students toward self-actualization and integration into the life of the campus community.

Go to www.umarc.miami.edu/umx for more information.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...