Tragedy sparks push for U.S. 1 pedestrian bridge

A series of actions have been taken at UM to improve pedestrian after freshman Ashley Kelly died last Spring after being hit by a car while crossing a U.S. 1 intersection.

Kelly was crossing the street with Andrea Cinque at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court when they were struck by a 1999 Ford Explorer. Cinque was treated for minor injuries and released from the hospital the next morning.

President Donna E. Shalala issued a statement about the accident.

“I have ordered an immediate safety review,” Dr. Shalala said. “The University will vigorously explore solutions to help prevent future accidents, including working with city, state and federal officials to explore the possibility of building a pedestrian bridge across South Dixie Highway.”

Pedestrian overpass efforts are now under way, with support from the entire UM community, including administration and Student Government.

“It’s kind of a dual track,” Sarah Artecona, vice president of Media and Community Relations, said. “We are looking for a long-term solution which is the pedestrian overpass, but we are also looking for some short-term ones.”

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, agreed.

“I’m hoping that we can use a horrific situation for something positive for future generations,” Dr. Whitely said. “The ultimate progress is going to be the pedestrian overpass.”

Local and state representatives met soon after to discuss possible long and short-term solutions for a pedestrian overpass.

Among the immediate changes will be the addition of more lights and trimming back landscaping to increase visibility. A training tape will be produced to caution students before crossing the streets and will be televised on the Hurry ‘Cane shuttles, and students will be made aware of pedestrian issues during Fall orientation.

Teressa Dalpe, Natalia Maldonado and Caralyn Pearson contributed to this article.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...