Theatre Arts professor chosen resident master of Hecht Residential College

Last May, as Mahoney Residential College bid farewell to an associate master, Hecht Residential College greeted the same man as its new resident master. His name is Vince Cardinal.

As the Chairman of the Department of Theatre Arts, Cardinal is no stranger to UM. For the past four years, he has not only interacted with college students, but has lived among them as well.

Each of the five residential colleges at UM is home to one resident master and two associate masters. Based on the housing systems of Cambridge and Oxford Universities in England, these scholars live within the residential colleges and open their doors to residing students. The resident master meets with the entire residential staff on a weekly basis in order to plan various activities and programs for students residing at the complex.

Cardinal said he enjoys being such an integral part of campus life.

“Hecht has over 20 years of history,” Cardinal said. “I hope to build upon that past in order to continue to meet current students’ needs and give them the best college experience possible.”

As chairman of the Department of Theatre Arts, Cardinal runs the academic department for theater students. He is also the producer at the Ring Theatre and generates five to six productions annually.

Cardinal’s play The Colorado Catechism has been produced internationally along with the screenplay Paollo Pasta and served as a writing consultant for The State on MTV. He was an assistant to the head writer of the soap opera One Life to Live and received a regional Emmy nomination for his musical comedy First Day of School.

Tom Recktenwald, junior, has had the opportunity to interact with Cardinal as both a theater student and a Mahoney resident.

“Mr. Cardinal is well versed, experienced, honest and to the point,” Recktenwald said. “His main goal is to take care of his students and ensure that we enjoy what we’re doing.”

Cardinal said he is excited about his new role.

“It’s a great way to be part of the University community,” Cardinal said. ” I love to see students grow and develop, and this is one more opportunity to do so.”

In addition to Cardinal, two new associate masters, Jennifer Vellenga and Evelina Galang, will join the Hecht staff. Mario Barnes will be a new associate master at Pearson Residential College.

Neha Patel can be contacted at

n.patel9@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...