Terrell Walden, Miami’s jack of all trades

Terrell Walden has a busy schedule. He is a full-time student, football player, track star-and father.

Walden, who is from the projects of Liberty City in Miami, ran the 60 meters and set the Big East Indoor Championship and Carrier Dome record in February.

Change is nothing new for Walden. Recently, he switched from cornerback to wide receiver on the football team. He puts more time on the practice field but the challenge keeps him motivated.

Walden wants to set a positive example.

“As a kid, I used to play sports year around at GC Park,” Walden said. “I need track for football and visa versa. I love both sports equally.”

Yet, Walden still dreams of playing on Sundays.

“I want to play in the NFL,” he said. “I plan on improving and taking my game to the next level.”

Walden is a junior, so his chance to be selected in the 2006 NFL draft is about a year away. Walden was red shirted for the 2003 football season. During the 2004 season, Walden was sidelined by a torn ACL on his right knee. He must stay healthy to display his talent.

On the track, Walden has excelled in both the 100-meter and 60-meter races.

During the Hurricane Invitational in March, Walden placed 12th out of 29 runners in the 100-meter dash. On Feb. 18, at the ACC Indoor Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., Walden placed 19th out of 37 in the 60-meter dash.

Walden cherishes time spent toddler son, Terrell Jr. He has garnered respect from his neighborhood peers because of his success.

“I want to show the kids that you can do positive things,” he said.

Being a student-athlete means having to juggle responsibilities of athletics and academics.

“I start assignments ASAP,” he said. “Good time management is critical to success.”

Paul Campbell can be contacted at

.campbell62@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...