Terrell Walden, Miami’s jack of all trades

Terrell Walden has a busy schedule. He is a full-time student, football player, track star-and father.

Walden, who is from the projects of Liberty City in Miami, ran the 60 meters and set the Big East Indoor Championship and Carrier Dome record in February.

Change is nothing new for Walden. Recently, he switched from cornerback to wide receiver on the football team. He puts more time on the practice field but the challenge keeps him motivated.

Walden wants to set a positive example.

“As a kid, I used to play sports year around at GC Park,” Walden said. “I need track for football and visa versa. I love both sports equally.”

Yet, Walden still dreams of playing on Sundays.

“I want to play in the NFL,” he said. “I plan on improving and taking my game to the next level.”

Walden is a junior, so his chance to be selected in the 2006 NFL draft is about a year away. Walden was red shirted for the 2003 football season. During the 2004 season, Walden was sidelined by a torn ACL on his right knee. He must stay healthy to display his talent.

On the track, Walden has excelled in both the 100-meter and 60-meter races.

During the Hurricane Invitational in March, Walden placed 12th out of 29 runners in the 100-meter dash. On Feb. 18, at the ACC Indoor Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., Walden placed 19th out of 37 in the 60-meter dash.

Walden cherishes time spent toddler son, Terrell Jr. He has garnered respect from his neighborhood peers because of his success.

“I want to show the kids that you can do positive things,” he said.

Being a student-athlete means having to juggle responsibilities of athletics and academics.

“I start assignments ASAP,” he said. “Good time management is critical to success.”

Paul Campbell can be contacted at

.campbell62@umiami.edu.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...