Terrell Walden, Miami’s jack of all trades

Terrell Walden has a busy schedule. He is a full-time student, football player, track star-and father.

Walden, who is from the projects of Liberty City in Miami, ran the 60 meters and set the Big East Indoor Championship and Carrier Dome record in February.

Change is nothing new for Walden. Recently, he switched from cornerback to wide receiver on the football team. He puts more time on the practice field but the challenge keeps him motivated.

Walden wants to set a positive example.

“As a kid, I used to play sports year around at GC Park,” Walden said. “I need track for football and visa versa. I love both sports equally.”

Yet, Walden still dreams of playing on Sundays.

“I want to play in the NFL,” he said. “I plan on improving and taking my game to the next level.”

Walden is a junior, so his chance to be selected in the 2006 NFL draft is about a year away. Walden was red shirted for the 2003 football season. During the 2004 season, Walden was sidelined by a torn ACL on his right knee. He must stay healthy to display his talent.

On the track, Walden has excelled in both the 100-meter and 60-meter races.

During the Hurricane Invitational in March, Walden placed 12th out of 29 runners in the 100-meter dash. On Feb. 18, at the ACC Indoor Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., Walden placed 19th out of 37 in the 60-meter dash.

Walden cherishes time spent toddler son, Terrell Jr. He has garnered respect from his neighborhood peers because of his success.

“I want to show the kids that you can do positive things,” he said.

Being a student-athlete means having to juggle responsibilities of athletics and academics.

“I start assignments ASAP,” he said. “Good time management is critical to success.”

Paul Campbell can be contacted at

.campbell62@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...