Student involvement: the best way to a well-rounded experience

Get involved-the phrase couldn’t be any more overplayed as fresh faces and even returning students step back onto college campuses at the beginning of fall semester. Yet, getting involved is one of the most prominent messages delivered to students because it is a statement that couldn’t be any truer. College can be intimidating, and getting absorbed with student organizations, volunteer work or a campus job is the simplest way to meet fellow students, develop relationships with faculty and staff and learn skills to last a lifetime.

Supporting more than 200 student organizations that range from Soccer Club to yearbook to SalsaCraze, the University of Miami provides many opportunities for students to get involved on campus and extend learning beyond the classroom. The University offers involvement opportunities in anything from Student Government and honor societies to cultural and ethnic organizations, so that almost every interest can be fulfilled by at least one student group, if not more. By getting involved students can capitalize on already harbored interests, build a social network, learn leadership and communication skills, and even build a r

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...