Student Health Center provides services

Most full-time students who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center., where most routine services are available at no charge and medical care is provided by board-certified physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

The Health Center also provides specialty care, including women’s health and orthopedics, x-ray, lab services, advice on health-related issues and referral to outside medical specialists.

Although appointments are offered, most students prefer to drop-in for their urgent-care needs. Peak times are Mondays all day, and all afternoons. Wait times are shorter early in the day. Students with chronic medical conditions are encouraged to come to the Health Center to meet and get to know one of its primary care providers.

The Pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. The staff can fill prescriptions for students while they wait, although many prefer to drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication. The Pharmacy accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and other off campus providers. Various over-the-counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, condom and other products are also for sale.

All students are required to obtain adequate health insurance while attending the University. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Health Center is added to each student’s fees. Students are not required to have the University sponsored health insurance plan in order to use the services of the Health Center. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request a fee waiver by completing a Cancellation Form prior to registration or online.

New students need to provide proof of immunization against measles and rubella by submitting an Immunization Compliance form to the Health Center prior to registration. In addition to the required immunizations, immunizations against hepatitis B, varicella (chicken pox) and diphtheria/tetanus are recommended. International students must also submit proof of tuberculosis testing (PPD) within 12 months prior to registration.

Students should also consider immunization against meningococcal meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that appears to be more common among college students who live on campus. The State of Florida requires that all students living in on-campus housing either document receipt of both meningitis and hepatitis B immunization, or sign a waiver stating that they have received relevant information and have chosen not to be vaccinated.

For more information call 305-284-5927 or visit www.miami.edu/student-health.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...