Student Health Center provides services

Most full-time students who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center., where most routine services are available at no charge and medical care is provided by board-certified physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

The Health Center also provides specialty care, including women’s health and orthopedics, x-ray, lab services, advice on health-related issues and referral to outside medical specialists.

Although appointments are offered, most students prefer to drop-in for their urgent-care needs. Peak times are Mondays all day, and all afternoons. Wait times are shorter early in the day. Students with chronic medical conditions are encouraged to come to the Health Center to meet and get to know one of its primary care providers.

The Pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. The staff can fill prescriptions for students while they wait, although many prefer to drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication. The Pharmacy accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and other off campus providers. Various over-the-counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, condom and other products are also for sale.

All students are required to obtain adequate health insurance while attending the University. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Health Center is added to each student’s fees. Students are not required to have the University sponsored health insurance plan in order to use the services of the Health Center. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request a fee waiver by completing a Cancellation Form prior to registration or online.

New students need to provide proof of immunization against measles and rubella by submitting an Immunization Compliance form to the Health Center prior to registration. In addition to the required immunizations, immunizations against hepatitis B, varicella (chicken pox) and diphtheria/tetanus are recommended. International students must also submit proof of tuberculosis testing (PPD) within 12 months prior to registration.

Students should also consider immunization against meningococcal meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that appears to be more common among college students who live on campus. The State of Florida requires that all students living in on-campus housing either document receipt of both meningitis and hepatitis B immunization, or sign a waiver stating that they have received relevant information and have chosen not to be vaccinated.

For more information call 305-284-5927 or visit www.miami.edu/student-health.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...