Student Health Center provides services

Most full-time students who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center., where most routine services are available at no charge and medical care is provided by board-certified physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners.

The Health Center also provides specialty care, including women’s health and orthopedics, x-ray, lab services, advice on health-related issues and referral to outside medical specialists.

Although appointments are offered, most students prefer to drop-in for their urgent-care needs. Peak times are Mondays all day, and all afternoons. Wait times are shorter early in the day. Students with chronic medical conditions are encouraged to come to the Health Center to meet and get to know one of its primary care providers.

The Pharmacy is located on the second floor of the Health Center. The staff can fill prescriptions for students while they wait, although many prefer to drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication. The Pharmacy accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and other off campus providers. Various over-the-counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, condom and other products are also for sale.

All students are required to obtain adequate health insurance while attending the University. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Health Center is added to each student’s fees. Students are not required to have the University sponsored health insurance plan in order to use the services of the Health Center. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request a fee waiver by completing a Cancellation Form prior to registration or online.

New students need to provide proof of immunization against measles and rubella by submitting an Immunization Compliance form to the Health Center prior to registration. In addition to the required immunizations, immunizations against hepatitis B, varicella (chicken pox) and diphtheria/tetanus are recommended. International students must also submit proof of tuberculosis testing (PPD) within 12 months prior to registration.

Students should also consider immunization against meningococcal meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that appears to be more common among college students who live on campus. The State of Florida requires that all students living in on-campus housing either document receipt of both meningitis and hepatitis B immunization, or sign a waiver stating that they have received relevant information and have chosen not to be vaccinated.

For more information call 305-284-5927 or visit www.miami.edu/student-health.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...