Ring Theatre puts on student shows

Celebrating more than 60 years of service to the University of Miami, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre has brought dozens of plays and musicals to campus. Since 1946, the Ring Theatre has presented high quality theatrical entertainment in its historical campus building.

The productions star the top students of the UM Department of Theatre Arts, under the direction of the department’s experienced faculty. Located on the Miller Drive entrance to campus, the Ring has even been known as the starting stage for alums like Sylvester Stallone, Ray Liotta, Ernie Sabella and Gail Edwards.

The building, remodeled in 1996, accommodates many different seating and stage arrangements, allowing for flexibility and creativity. The theatre is named in honor of UM alumnus Jerry Herman, who wrote music and lyrics for Broadway legends such as Hello, Dolly!, Dear World and La Cage aux Folles.

The 2005-2006 season will feature shows Bat Boy: The Musical, Styne After Styne, How I Learned to Drive, The Exonerated, Electra and The Music Man on the stage.

As an added bonus for students, the Ring initiated “Totally Tuesday” in 2002, making Tuesday night performances free for students. For extreme theatre enthusiasts, season tickets are available for $30 with excellent assigned seats for all six shows.

For more information call the box office at 305-284-3355 or visit www.miami.edu/ring.