Research and Creativity Forum displays projects

A parade of academically fueled research projects by students took center stage in the University Center and the University Green last April for an exhibition that provides students opportunities to apply classroom experience to real-world issues.

The 9th Annual Citizens Board Research and Creativity Forum (RCF) showcased a slice of the research that takes place across UM’s five campuses daily.

From a study scrutinizing child safety devices in automobiles and the level of parental responsibility to research on spinal reparations in rats that could ultimately contribute to a cure for spinal paralysis in humans, this program not only covered the gamut of knowledge but also tied in relevancy to issues in everyday society.

The Office of Graduate Studies sent out more than 3,000 invitations throughout the neighboring Coral Gables area inviting residents to come and observe the accomplishments of the students.

“This program has allowed our neighbors insight to what the University has to offer in research possibilities,” Jim Fatzinger, chief coordinator of RCF, said.

According to Fatzinger, in the last few years, the forum has taken off as a high student participatory event. The reason for that is the consolidation of the Graduate Student Association and the Undergraduate Inquiry Research connection.

“This, coupled with an increase in cooperate recognition, has caused an explosion in participation since 2002,” Fatzinger said. “This project is practically the best-kept secret in town mainly because of the lack attention paid by other students.”

RCF was initially created to nurture students in preparation for future presentations.

Now the forum is open to both undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines. Long, descriptive abstracts passed out at the entrance described projects based on original work, either published or unpublished.

During the forum, faculty judges evaluated projects on display and offered feedback.

In many cases these students used the forum to make a trial run to gain experience they will later use when representing UM at national conferences in their field. On Friday, an awards banquet was held for all of the participants.

“This is a definitely an opportunity for students and faculty to combine ideas and findings that are important today,” Fatzinger said.

According to Fatzinger, each first place winner will be awarded $100, which in the end totals approximately $1,900. The winners had a wide range of projects, displaying the all-encompassing nature of the forum.

Among the winners were Seanna Cronin, who won the undergraduate Art category with an underwater photography display of South Florida and Australia. Jennifer Gilliam took first place in the undergraduate Sociology, Philosophy, Education and Communication category with her documentary on the West Grove.

For more information, visit www.miami.edu/rcf.

Larry Nolan can be contacted at

l.nolan@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...