Public Safety seeks to protect, educate

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service police agency made up of police officers that provide service 24 hours a day, year round. The department is augmented by contract security officers and student security patrol officers.

Public Safety offers many services for your safety and protection.

Security Escort Patrol, Security Supervisors, Security Officers and Student Security Patrol Officers will escort any student, faculty, staff member or campus visitor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a free service.

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women is taught by certified RAD instructors. The course is 12 to 15 hours long and its objective is to develop and enhance the options of self-defense, so that they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked.

Another safety service at UM is the Adopt-a-cop program. Each residential college may “adopt” a police officer, who provides high visibility and is highly accessible to the residential community. This officer may facilitate speakers to address any safety issue of interest.

Operation ID is a program that identifies valuables in order to deter theft and aid in recovery of stolen property. Engravers are available at Public Safety. Public Safety can also etch your vehicle identification number into the glass areas of your car, thereby making it easily traceable if stolen and less desirable to a thief.

Public Safety sells anti-theft devices for vehicles and laptop computers at a reduced cost. Cyclists can trade in their cables or chain locks for a free U-lock, while supplies last, and register their bikes into a national registry at no cost.

Motorists who are stranded on campus can call Public Safety for assistance if they are locked out of their cars or experience dead batteries or flat tires.

In addition, more than 70 emergency telephones are strategically located throughout campus. These phones are marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification and are connected directly to the department of Public Safety. Phones may be used to request an escort, report suspicious persons or activities, or to obtain information.

Remember, most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” If we can remove the opportunity, we can greatly reduce the chance of crime.

For more information, contact the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or visit www.miami.edu/public-safety.

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...