Public Safety seeks to protect, educate

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service police agency made up of police officers that provide service 24 hours a day, year round. The department is augmented by contract security officers and student security patrol officers.

Public Safety offers many services for your safety and protection.

Security Escort Patrol, Security Supervisors, Security Officers and Student Security Patrol Officers will escort any student, faculty, staff member or campus visitor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a free service.

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women is taught by certified RAD instructors. The course is 12 to 15 hours long and its objective is to develop and enhance the options of self-defense, so that they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked.

Another safety service at UM is the Adopt-a-cop program. Each residential college may “adopt” a police officer, who provides high visibility and is highly accessible to the residential community. This officer may facilitate speakers to address any safety issue of interest.

Operation ID is a program that identifies valuables in order to deter theft and aid in recovery of stolen property. Engravers are available at Public Safety. Public Safety can also etch your vehicle identification number into the glass areas of your car, thereby making it easily traceable if stolen and less desirable to a thief.

Public Safety sells anti-theft devices for vehicles and laptop computers at a reduced cost. Cyclists can trade in their cables or chain locks for a free U-lock, while supplies last, and register their bikes into a national registry at no cost.

Motorists who are stranded on campus can call Public Safety for assistance if they are locked out of their cars or experience dead batteries or flat tires.

In addition, more than 70 emergency telephones are strategically located throughout campus. These phones are marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification and are connected directly to the department of Public Safety. Phones may be used to request an escort, report suspicious persons or activities, or to obtain information.

Remember, most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” If we can remove the opportunity, we can greatly reduce the chance of crime.

For more information, contact the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or visit www.miami.edu/public-safety.

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...