Public Safety seeks to protect, educate

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service police agency made up of police officers that provide service 24 hours a day, year round. The department is augmented by contract security officers and student security patrol officers.

Public Safety offers many services for your safety and protection.

Security Escort Patrol, Security Supervisors, Security Officers and Student Security Patrol Officers will escort any student, faculty, staff member or campus visitor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a free service.

Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women is taught by certified RAD instructors. The course is 12 to 15 hours long and its objective is to develop and enhance the options of self-defense, so that they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked.

Another safety service at UM is the Adopt-a-cop program. Each residential college may “adopt” a police officer, who provides high visibility and is highly accessible to the residential community. This officer may facilitate speakers to address any safety issue of interest.

Operation ID is a program that identifies valuables in order to deter theft and aid in recovery of stolen property. Engravers are available at Public Safety. Public Safety can also etch your vehicle identification number into the glass areas of your car, thereby making it easily traceable if stolen and less desirable to a thief.

Public Safety sells anti-theft devices for vehicles and laptop computers at a reduced cost. Cyclists can trade in their cables or chain locks for a free U-lock, while supplies last, and register their bikes into a national registry at no cost.

Motorists who are stranded on campus can call Public Safety for assistance if they are locked out of their cars or experience dead batteries or flat tires.

In addition, more than 70 emergency telephones are strategically located throughout campus. These phones are marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification and are connected directly to the department of Public Safety. Phones may be used to request an escort, report suspicious persons or activities, or to obtain information.

Remember, most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” If we can remove the opportunity, we can greatly reduce the chance of crime.

For more information, contact the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or visit www.miami.edu/public-safety.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...