Pre-Law, Pre-MBA programs give students a leg up

The Pre-Law and Pre-MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs at the University of Miami identify students interested in going to law school or graduate school. Pre-Law and Pre-MBA are not majors but career options-once coded as a Pre-Law or Pre-MBA student, students receive a newsletter highlighting upcoming events.

The University of Miami is one of the only universities in the country to have a formal pre-MBA program.

One of the key initiatives of the Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs is to prepare students for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE tests, which are required to attend top graduate schools.

“Students need to take these tests very seriously and begin to prepare for them in their freshmen year,” said Dr. Elisah B. Lewis, Director of Undergraduate Career Options Counseling.

Dr. Lewis recommends taking 10 practice tests annually as early as freshmen year. Practice LSAT and GMAT exams are given the last Friday of each month at the School of Business, and GRE tests are also given on a limited basis.

Upcoming events include a Pre-Law and Pre-MBA Orientation seminar for new students on Aug. 23. The Pre-Law session will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and the Pre-MBA session will take place from 2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Interested students will get manuals and be able to sign up as Pre-Law or Pre-MBA students.

Pre-Law events for the Fall will include the annual Miami Law Fair taking place on Oct. 7 at the Hyatt in Downtown Miami from noon to 6 p.m. One hundred and ten-plus law schools from all over the country, including the top 10 law schools and all Florida schools, will attend this fair.

In addition, the Pre-MBA club is open to all students to join. There will be an event once a month, with the highlight of the fall semester being Entrepreneurship Day at the end of October. Students can also join the Pre-Legal Society (Phi Alpha Delta), which will meet every Monday night at 5:30 p.m. in the second floor of the University Center.

For more information about Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs please visit http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/career_counsel/ or email Dr. Lewis at eblewis@miami.edu.

Rahila Odhwani can be contacted at

r.odhwani@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...