Pre-Law, Pre-MBA programs give students a leg up

The Pre-Law and Pre-MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs at the University of Miami identify students interested in going to law school or graduate school. Pre-Law and Pre-MBA are not majors but career options-once coded as a Pre-Law or Pre-MBA student, students receive a newsletter highlighting upcoming events.

The University of Miami is one of the only universities in the country to have a formal pre-MBA program.

One of the key initiatives of the Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs is to prepare students for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE tests, which are required to attend top graduate schools.

“Students need to take these tests very seriously and begin to prepare for them in their freshmen year,” said Dr. Elisah B. Lewis, Director of Undergraduate Career Options Counseling.

Dr. Lewis recommends taking 10 practice tests annually as early as freshmen year. Practice LSAT and GMAT exams are given the last Friday of each month at the School of Business, and GRE tests are also given on a limited basis.

Upcoming events include a Pre-Law and Pre-MBA Orientation seminar for new students on Aug. 23. The Pre-Law session will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and the Pre-MBA session will take place from 2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Interested students will get manuals and be able to sign up as Pre-Law or Pre-MBA students.

Pre-Law events for the Fall will include the annual Miami Law Fair taking place on Oct. 7 at the Hyatt in Downtown Miami from noon to 6 p.m. One hundred and ten-plus law schools from all over the country, including the top 10 law schools and all Florida schools, will attend this fair.

In addition, the Pre-MBA club is open to all students to join. There will be an event once a month, with the highlight of the fall semester being Entrepreneurship Day at the end of October. Students can also join the Pre-Legal Society (Phi Alpha Delta), which will meet every Monday night at 5:30 p.m. in the second floor of the University Center.

For more information about Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs please visit http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/career_counsel/ or email Dr. Lewis at eblewis@miami.edu.

Rahila Odhwani can be contacted at

r.odhwani@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...