Pre-Law, Pre-MBA programs give students a leg up

The Pre-Law and Pre-MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs at the University of Miami identify students interested in going to law school or graduate school. Pre-Law and Pre-MBA are not majors but career options-once coded as a Pre-Law or Pre-MBA student, students receive a newsletter highlighting upcoming events.

The University of Miami is one of the only universities in the country to have a formal pre-MBA program.

One of the key initiatives of the Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs is to prepare students for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE tests, which are required to attend top graduate schools.

“Students need to take these tests very seriously and begin to prepare for them in their freshmen year,” said Dr. Elisah B. Lewis, Director of Undergraduate Career Options Counseling.

Dr. Lewis recommends taking 10 practice tests annually as early as freshmen year. Practice LSAT and GMAT exams are given the last Friday of each month at the School of Business, and GRE tests are also given on a limited basis.

Upcoming events include a Pre-Law and Pre-MBA Orientation seminar for new students on Aug. 23. The Pre-Law session will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and the Pre-MBA session will take place from 2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Interested students will get manuals and be able to sign up as Pre-Law or Pre-MBA students.

Pre-Law events for the Fall will include the annual Miami Law Fair taking place on Oct. 7 at the Hyatt in Downtown Miami from noon to 6 p.m. One hundred and ten-plus law schools from all over the country, including the top 10 law schools and all Florida schools, will attend this fair.

In addition, the Pre-MBA club is open to all students to join. There will be an event once a month, with the highlight of the fall semester being Entrepreneurship Day at the end of October. Students can also join the Pre-Legal Society (Phi Alpha Delta), which will meet every Monday night at 5:30 p.m. in the second floor of the University Center.

For more information about Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs please visit http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/career_counsel/ or email Dr. Lewis at eblewis@miami.edu.

Rahila Odhwani can be contacted at

r.odhwani@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...