Pre-Law, Pre-MBA programs give students a leg up

The Pre-Law and Pre-MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs at the University of Miami identify students interested in going to law school or graduate school. Pre-Law and Pre-MBA are not majors but career options-once coded as a Pre-Law or Pre-MBA student, students receive a newsletter highlighting upcoming events.

The University of Miami is one of the only universities in the country to have a formal pre-MBA program.

One of the key initiatives of the Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs is to prepare students for the LSAT, GMAT and GRE tests, which are required to attend top graduate schools.

“Students need to take these tests very seriously and begin to prepare for them in their freshmen year,” said Dr. Elisah B. Lewis, Director of Undergraduate Career Options Counseling.

Dr. Lewis recommends taking 10 practice tests annually as early as freshmen year. Practice LSAT and GMAT exams are given the last Friday of each month at the School of Business, and GRE tests are also given on a limited basis.

Upcoming events include a Pre-Law and Pre-MBA Orientation seminar for new students on Aug. 23. The Pre-Law session will take place from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and the Pre-MBA session will take place from 2:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Interested students will get manuals and be able to sign up as Pre-Law or Pre-MBA students.

Pre-Law events for the Fall will include the annual Miami Law Fair taking place on Oct. 7 at the Hyatt in Downtown Miami from noon to 6 p.m. One hundred and ten-plus law schools from all over the country, including the top 10 law schools and all Florida schools, will attend this fair.

In addition, the Pre-MBA club is open to all students to join. There will be an event once a month, with the highlight of the fall semester being Entrepreneurship Day at the end of October. Students can also join the Pre-Legal Society (Phi Alpha Delta), which will meet every Monday night at 5:30 p.m. in the second floor of the University Center.

For more information about Pre-Law and Pre-MBA programs please visit http://sba07.bus.miami.edu/dev_new/sections/undergrad/career_counsel/ or email Dr. Lewis at eblewis@miami.edu.

Rahila Odhwani can be contacted at

r.odhwani@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...