New dean to move School of Comm forward

University President Donna E. Shalala announced last February the appointment of Dr. Sam L Grogg as new Dean of the School of Communication. Dr. Grogg, who is Dean of the American Film Institute Conservatory [AFI] in Los Angeles, Calif., will replace Edward J. Pfister, who has been dean of the School since its foundation in 1985.

“This was not an easy decision,” Dr. Shalala said. “I thought Dr. Grogg in particular was the type of person we wanted to lead the school in this decade, in this century.”

Dr. Grogg has been dean of AFI since 1998. Before that, he was the founding dean for the School of Filmmaking at the North Carolina School of the Arts. His film background includes working as executive producer for New Symphony Pictures and Symphony Entertainment, and serving as president and CEO of other two production companies-one of which produced, financed and distributed the Academy Award-winning The Trip to Bountiful and Kiss of the Spider Woman. He has also written screenplays and articles for scholarly journals.

“Dr. Grogg joins the University with a vast experience in film and more broadly in communication,” said former Provost Luis E. Glaser in a press release.

The new dean said he is excited about working at the school but has not yet set specific projects.

“I don’t have a specific plan other than to listen to the faculty and students for the first few months,” Dr. Grogg said in a phone interview. “[During my visit] I thought the students were the strongest testimony for the strength of the program; I’m very excited by them and that’s where my priority lies.”

School of Communication professor Paul N. Lazarus has known Dr. Grogg for 25 years from the movie business. As a member of the search committee for the new dean, it was Lazarus who brought forth Dr. Grogg’s name as a candidate.

“He’s a very good man to lead us to the next level,” Lazarus said. “It takes a pretty special person to direct the eclectic mix of scholars, professionals and artists here.”

Students who are part of the School of Communication’s Dean’s Dozen met Dr. Grogg at a luncheon during his visit to campus in February.

“I’m really excited about Sam Grogg being the new dean,” Rochelle Goetz, a junior majoring in broadcast journalism, said. “I think he has a lot to offer coming from across the country, and he’ll be a great addition to the staff and will encourage more communication between faculty and students.”

Beni Yunis, a sophomore majoring in print journalism, agreed.

“I thought he was approachable and easy to talk to,” she said. “He seemed really interested in getting to know the students.”

Dr. Grogg made regular visits to the school during the semester. He is moving to Miami with his wife and 19-year-old son over the summer.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at

p.mazzei@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...