MyUM is one-stop shop for info

One of the many developments aimed at facilitating a student’s college life at UM is the Information Technology (IT) department’s recently revamped student interface portal called MyUM, a one-stop source for University-related information.

“MyUM is a personalized website that will provide each student with 24/7 access to UM information and services,” Gerry Dana, associate vice president of Applications and Development, said.

With the help of MyUM, students gain access to their academic records, course registration, on-campus recruiting opportunities, financial aid information and much more simply with the use of their ‘Cane ID and Password, which are set during their first visit to the MyUM portal.

“Information is available to each student when he or she needs it, not just during business hours,” Dana said.

In addition to MyUM, the University will continue offering the services of their other systems.

CaneNet, the university’s student computer network, allows students in residential colleges to do everything from surf the Internet to spend hours chatting online, all for free and without tying up their phone lines. To help students get connected to the network, each residential college will set up an area where students can get assistance with CaneNet, purchase hardware and create email accounts during Back-to-School Weekend.

UMSIS is the student university email system, which offers services that surpass AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo. Although these providers allow users to filter and forward email, and keep a personal address book, UMSIS offers additional features without an annual fee. Such services include personal web pages, a calendar and online file storage.

IT gives students storage for email, web pages, class notes and projects with a total of 100 megabytes. Students can also receive email attachments as big as 15 megabytes. In addition to using the web interface, students can send and receive email using Outlook, Outlook Express and Netscape Messenger, services only offered by other providers for an additional charge.

IT is here to help students with their technological and informational needs. For more information on MyUM, CaneNet, UMSIS or any other service offered by IT, visit their website at www.miami.edu/it. IT also encourages students to visit their Back To School website at www.miami.edu/it/bts.

Beth Hernandez, Project Manager for MyUM, contributed to this article.

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at

c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...