MyUM is one-stop shop for info

One of the many developments aimed at facilitating a student’s college life at UM is the Information Technology (IT) department’s recently revamped student interface portal called MyUM, a one-stop source for University-related information.

“MyUM is a personalized website that will provide each student with 24/7 access to UM information and services,” Gerry Dana, associate vice president of Applications and Development, said.

With the help of MyUM, students gain access to their academic records, course registration, on-campus recruiting opportunities, financial aid information and much more simply with the use of their ‘Cane ID and Password, which are set during their first visit to the MyUM portal.

“Information is available to each student when he or she needs it, not just during business hours,” Dana said.

In addition to MyUM, the University will continue offering the services of their other systems.

CaneNet, the university’s student computer network, allows students in residential colleges to do everything from surf the Internet to spend hours chatting online, all for free and without tying up their phone lines. To help students get connected to the network, each residential college will set up an area where students can get assistance with CaneNet, purchase hardware and create email accounts during Back-to-School Weekend.

UMSIS is the student university email system, which offers services that surpass AOL, Hotmail and Yahoo. Although these providers allow users to filter and forward email, and keep a personal address book, UMSIS offers additional features without an annual fee. Such services include personal web pages, a calendar and online file storage.

IT gives students storage for email, web pages, class notes and projects with a total of 100 megabytes. Students can also receive email attachments as big as 15 megabytes. In addition to using the web interface, students can send and receive email using Outlook, Outlook Express and Netscape Messenger, services only offered by other providers for an additional charge.

IT is here to help students with their technological and informational needs. For more information on MyUM, CaneNet, UMSIS or any other service offered by IT, visit their website at www.miami.edu/it. IT also encourages students to visit their Back To School website at www.miami.edu/it/bts.

Beth Hernandez, Project Manager for MyUM, contributed to this article.

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at

c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...