MTV brings Nobel laureate to students

When students walked into class one Tuesday last semester, they knew it was going to be different than usual. Professors Sherri Porcelain and Miriam Klein Kassenoff had moved their classes to a different location, and cameras were all over the room.

But when 1986 Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel walked in, the collective “Oooh!” displayed the awe of the students sitting in the room.

“The class before we were talking about his book Night [Wiesel’s autobiographical novel about the Holocaust] and all of a sudden he just walks in there,” Rajiv Nijhawan, junior, said. “It was totally unexpected.”

Wiesel’s visit was arranged by and taped for the mtvU series Stand-in, where celebrities make surprise appearances as professors for a class.

Wiesel focused on the worldwide indifference toward the mass genocides occurring in Sudan and Rwanda, relating them to his experiences in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

“The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference,” Wiesel said. “An ethical person is one who is not indifferent.”

Darfur, in Sudan, has been in conflict since February 2003. More than 200,000 people have died and two million have been displaced.

Wiesel’s advice to college students was simple.

“When you read about an injustice, always take the side of the victims,” he said. “Your silence or indifference will never hurt the killer, only the victim.”

MtvU called for students across the nation to raise awareness and act upon the Sudan crisis.

Wiesel said he believes that students can spark change through their actions.

“Remember one thing. The century is not mine. It’s yours,” Wiesel said.

For more information visit www.mtvU.com.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...