MTV brings Nobel laureate to students

When students walked into class one Tuesday last semester, they knew it was going to be different than usual. Professors Sherri Porcelain and Miriam Klein Kassenoff had moved their classes to a different location, and cameras were all over the room.

But when 1986 Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel walked in, the collective “Oooh!” displayed the awe of the students sitting in the room.

“The class before we were talking about his book Night [Wiesel’s autobiographical novel about the Holocaust] and all of a sudden he just walks in there,” Rajiv Nijhawan, junior, said. “It was totally unexpected.”

Wiesel’s visit was arranged by and taped for the mtvU series Stand-in, where celebrities make surprise appearances as professors for a class.

Wiesel focused on the worldwide indifference toward the mass genocides occurring in Sudan and Rwanda, relating them to his experiences in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

“The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference,” Wiesel said. “An ethical person is one who is not indifferent.”

Darfur, in Sudan, has been in conflict since February 2003. More than 200,000 people have died and two million have been displaced.

Wiesel’s advice to college students was simple.

“When you read about an injustice, always take the side of the victims,” he said. “Your silence or indifference will never hurt the killer, only the victim.”

MtvU called for students across the nation to raise awareness and act upon the Sudan crisis.

Wiesel said he believes that students can spark change through their actions.

“Remember one thing. The century is not mine. It’s yours,” Wiesel said.

For more information visit www.mtvU.com.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...