Miami not in spotlight during draft weekend

After six UM football players were taken in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft, pundits labeled 2005 to be a down year for the Hurricanes because only one player, cornerback Antrel Rolle, was expected to be taken in the first round. The critics were right, but the school was still well represented on Day One of the draft.

The Tennessee Titans had the sixth pick of the first round and were debating between Rolle and Adam “Pac-Man” Jones of West Virginia, but they elected to go with the smaller, faster Jones. Rolle went to the Arizona Cardinals two picks later.

Rolle told the Miami Herald that he is a capable returner, but the presence of Roscoe Parrish on the team kept him from getting any reps, which left the Titans uncertain of his special teams abilities.

“I love punt returns,” Rolle said. “Unfortunately, we had Roscoe this year, so I didn’t get a chance to return punts. ”

Rolle said he was still thrilled to be chosen so early and has great potential in Arizona, who will likely make Rolle its top cornerback right away.

“It’s a dream come true,” Rolle told the Herald.

Parrish ended up being taken with the 55th pick by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills chose UM tight end Kevin Everett in the third round. Frank Gore was drafted with the first pick of the third round by the San Francisco 49ers. Offensive lineman Chris Myers was taken in the sixth round by the Denver Broncos.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at

e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...