Miami not in spotlight during draft weekend

After six UM football players were taken in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft, pundits labeled 2005 to be a down year for the Hurricanes because only one player, cornerback Antrel Rolle, was expected to be taken in the first round. The critics were right, but the school was still well represented on Day One of the draft.

The Tennessee Titans had the sixth pick of the first round and were debating between Rolle and Adam “Pac-Man” Jones of West Virginia, but they elected to go with the smaller, faster Jones. Rolle went to the Arizona Cardinals two picks later.

Rolle told the Miami Herald that he is a capable returner, but the presence of Roscoe Parrish on the team kept him from getting any reps, which left the Titans uncertain of his special teams abilities.

“I love punt returns,” Rolle said. “Unfortunately, we had Roscoe this year, so I didn’t get a chance to return punts. ”

Rolle said he was still thrilled to be chosen so early and has great potential in Arizona, who will likely make Rolle its top cornerback right away.

“It’s a dream come true,” Rolle told the Herald.

Parrish ended up being taken with the 55th pick by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills chose UM tight end Kevin Everett in the third round. Frank Gore was drafted with the first pick of the third round by the San Francisco 49ers. Offensive lineman Chris Myers was taken in the sixth round by the Denver Broncos.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at

e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...