Miami not in spotlight during draft weekend

After six UM football players were taken in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft, pundits labeled 2005 to be a down year for the Hurricanes because only one player, cornerback Antrel Rolle, was expected to be taken in the first round. The critics were right, but the school was still well represented on Day One of the draft.

The Tennessee Titans had the sixth pick of the first round and were debating between Rolle and Adam “Pac-Man” Jones of West Virginia, but they elected to go with the smaller, faster Jones. Rolle went to the Arizona Cardinals two picks later.

Rolle told the Miami Herald that he is a capable returner, but the presence of Roscoe Parrish on the team kept him from getting any reps, which left the Titans uncertain of his special teams abilities.

“I love punt returns,” Rolle said. “Unfortunately, we had Roscoe this year, so I didn’t get a chance to return punts. ”

Rolle said he was still thrilled to be chosen so early and has great potential in Arizona, who will likely make Rolle its top cornerback right away.

“It’s a dream come true,” Rolle told the Herald.

Parrish ended up being taken with the 55th pick by the Buffalo Bills. The Bills chose UM tight end Kevin Everett in the third round. Frank Gore was drafted with the first pick of the third round by the San Francisco 49ers. Offensive lineman Chris Myers was taken in the sixth round by the Denver Broncos.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at

e.kalis@umiami.edu.

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...