Meier could turn women’s hoops around

A new era of women’s basketball at Miami has arrived with the hiring of new Head Coach Katie Meier, who has proven before that she can turn a program around in a heartbeat.

After 17 seasons with Ferne Labati at the helm, no one remembers women’s basketball without her, which is part of the reason why so many people were taken aback by her firing.

I got to know Labati and her coaching staff throughout the season, especially while on road trips for WVUM and because of that, I found myself upset at the decision to let her go with one year left on her contract. But as the weeks have gone by and the search ended for a new head coach, I realize that perhaps this is the right way to go.

It’s tough to compare the firings of former men’s coach Perry Clark and Labati because the only similarity I see is that each had a losing season before being fired. Besides that, the similarities lay in the future of these two teams.

One of the main reasons why Frank Haith was hired was his experience with the ACC, since he had been an assistant at Wake Forest and grew up in North Carolina, surrounded by the basketball fever the ACC brings every year.

Athletic Director Paul Dee showed once again that having experience in the ACC will help a coach get hired by bringing in Meier. Meier was one of the best players in Duke history and catapulted the women’s basketball program to where it is today when she played there in the late ’80s.

Meier has what it takes to turn this team around and put it on top of the ACC. We have to remember that this was a team that was in the NCAA tournament a year ago. Meier had a much tougher task when she took over at Charlotte, a program that saw only one post-season berth in its history before she showed up. In her four years as a 49er, she took them to three post-season tournaments, which is not too shabby.

Taking Miami to the post-season may be a lot to ask in her first year, but if Haith did it with the men’s team, why not Meier with the women’s? The Hurricanes have the second leading scorer in the nation coming back in Tamara James and lost only two players to graduation. Not to mention a very impressive recruiting class coming in the Fall plus the return of red-shirt senior Melissa Knight, who missed all of last season with an injury.

This may be Miami’s year to make some noise in the ACC. Give Meier three or four years and we will see a dominant national powerhouse UM.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at

d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...