Making a splash

UM divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez were named the women and men’s Atlantic Coast Conference Divers of the Year, respectively, this season.

These two student-athletes became the first-ever recipients selected for this coveted award at Miami in their ACC debut.

Then they prepared for the next step in a successful season: the national championships.

Dreyer, a freshman who also garnered All-American honorable mention honors for the three-meter and ten-meter platform boards, wento to South Africa to vie for a spot on her country’s national team.

The senior Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, competed in Mexico to secure a spot on its national team. As a member of the UM diving team, he earned the sixth All-American recognition of his career at the NCAA Championships.

“I was expecting him to have a meet like that,” Ableman said. “After all of the practice and repetitions, he was bound to break out at nationals.”

Larry Nolan can be contacted at l.nolan@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...