Lowe brings art to campus

Although the University of Miami is renowned for its sports and medical program, the University is also a strong advocate of the arts. Home to South Florida’s first art museum, the Lowe Art Museum is one of the most respected museums in the South Florida area.

Located on the main drive of campus, the Lowe’s exhibits and programs have a strong presence on campus and in the community. The Lowe has long provided students, professors and visitors with a wide array of visually stimulating and truly beautiful pieces of artwork.

When it opened in 1950 after receiving a gift from philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, the museum was found in three classrooms. Today, it is sectioned into four galleries and holds several permanent and traveling exhibitions.

Balancing the line between classic and modern art, the Lowe is the only museum to display a full exhibit of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. Set alongside Renaissance paintings, Native American artifacts and some non-traditional modern metal works, the museum offers a variety of pieces for the art enthusiast. It boasts a collection of 13,000 objects.

To increase the variety of exhibits, the Lowe has joined the Museum Loan Network, which allows exhibits from other museums and even private exhibits from art collectors take temporary residence inside the museum.

For those looking for artsy gifts, the Lowe also houses a gift shop.

Admission to the Lowe is free for University of Miami students and faculty, as well as museum members and children under age 12. Adults are $5, Student groups are $2, and senior citizens and regular students are $3.

The Lowe is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...