Lowe brings art to campus

Although the University of Miami is renowned for its sports and medical program, the University is also a strong advocate of the arts. Home to South Florida’s first art museum, the Lowe Art Museum is one of the most respected museums in the South Florida area.

Located on the main drive of campus, the Lowe’s exhibits and programs have a strong presence on campus and in the community. The Lowe has long provided students, professors and visitors with a wide array of visually stimulating and truly beautiful pieces of artwork.

When it opened in 1950 after receiving a gift from philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, the museum was found in three classrooms. Today, it is sectioned into four galleries and holds several permanent and traveling exhibitions.

Balancing the line between classic and modern art, the Lowe is the only museum to display a full exhibit of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. Set alongside Renaissance paintings, Native American artifacts and some non-traditional modern metal works, the museum offers a variety of pieces for the art enthusiast. It boasts a collection of 13,000 objects.

To increase the variety of exhibits, the Lowe has joined the Museum Loan Network, which allows exhibits from other museums and even private exhibits from art collectors take temporary residence inside the museum.

For those looking for artsy gifts, the Lowe also houses a gift shop.

Admission to the Lowe is free for University of Miami students and faculty, as well as museum members and children under age 12. Adults are $5, Student groups are $2, and senior citizens and regular students are $3.

The Lowe is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...