Lowe brings art to campus

Although the University of Miami is renowned for its sports and medical program, the University is also a strong advocate of the arts. Home to South Florida’s first art museum, the Lowe Art Museum is one of the most respected museums in the South Florida area.

Located on the main drive of campus, the Lowe’s exhibits and programs have a strong presence on campus and in the community. The Lowe has long provided students, professors and visitors with a wide array of visually stimulating and truly beautiful pieces of artwork.

When it opened in 1950 after receiving a gift from philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, the museum was found in three classrooms. Today, it is sectioned into four galleries and holds several permanent and traveling exhibitions.

Balancing the line between classic and modern art, the Lowe is the only museum to display a full exhibit of Greek, Roman and Egyptian antiquities. Set alongside Renaissance paintings, Native American artifacts and some non-traditional modern metal works, the museum offers a variety of pieces for the art enthusiast. It boasts a collection of 13,000 objects.

To increase the variety of exhibits, the Lowe has joined the Museum Loan Network, which allows exhibits from other museums and even private exhibits from art collectors take temporary residence inside the museum.

For those looking for artsy gifts, the Lowe also houses a gift shop.

Admission to the Lowe is free for University of Miami students and faculty, as well as museum members and children under age 12. Adults are $5, Student groups are $2, and senior citizens and regular students are $3.

The Lowe is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...