Leading the way at the College of Engineering

A new chapter in life, a new journey, a new set of challenges-and a new set of worries. But getting through engineering at the University of Miami might be as easy as one, two, three, so make sure to keep these three resources in mind so that your experience in engineering will be significantly smoother.

1. The advising office knows all

The first place freshmen will visit is the advising office. Whether you know what you’re doing or not, this office will help guide you no matter how far along in your degree you are. They are the ones that see you register for your first class and receive your diploma at commencement. They will also give you two of the most valuable assets you can have: advice on which classes to take and your peer advisor.

2. Get involved

College isn’t all about classes and studying; it is also about making friends, having a good time and contributing when you can. How are you going to meet people and how will you fill up your limited-but-precious free time?

“No matter what you’re studying, getting involved in a student organization will help enrich your collegiate experience and will open many doors for you no matter what you want to do,” Tyler Ingold, industrial engineering major, said. “Getting involved is an easy way to do what you love to do and help the University at the same time.”

Do you want to be a part of Homecoming, do you want to help put on National Engineers Week, and do you want to show the rest of the University that engineers are the ones leading the way? Then joining the Engineering Advisory Board might just be the best option for you. This is the umbrella organization where all engineering groups come to put on events together and to participate in campus wide events.

3. Get connected

Start career planning early. The College of Engineering is fortunate enough to have its own career connection in one person, Ann Helmers. Make sure to get your resume ready during freshman year and talk to Helmers about where you want to go in the future.

“I’m here to make sure students get connected with job opportunities and internship opportunities that are available to them,” Helmers said. “It is important to remember that I’m not the one that gets students jobs, they get the jobs themselves. I’m just here to act as a liaison for that opportunity.”

No matter where you’re going, how you’re meeting people, or how you’re getting connected, remember that all engineers have that special late-night-physics-studying mouse-trap-car-building bond that helps make them unique. When some students say the glass is half full, others will say it is half empty, but only the engineering students say the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

Paty Escuder can be contacted at

p.escuder@umiami.edu.

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...