Know more: A day in the life of a resident student

7:15 a.m. Alarm rings. Turn over and fall asleep -it takes only 10 minutes to get from my room to the Memorial Classroom Building, if I walk fast.

7:40 a.m. Reluctantly roll out of bed, brush teeth, throw on a pair of jeans and grab my backpack. Out the door and in the elevator by 7:47 a.m. Get to philosophy and try to pay attention to what’s going on without falling asleep.

9:00 a.m. Breakfast at the dining hall. Get my usual bagel with cream cheese and-yes!-they have pineapple today. I don’t have class till 12. Be productive and get some work done, or take a nap?

11:15 a.m. I choose the nap. Shower, wear something more presentable and head out to class.

1:00 p.m. Lunchtime. Walk through the UC Breezeway and fend off the surveys and credit card offers. Sign up to volunteer this Saturday at a nursing home. Buy something at the food court. Notice that I’m running low on Dining Dollars-gotta be careful for the rest of the semester. Maybe I should start using more of those 14 meals a week I have at the dining hall. Find some friends sitting on the Rock and join them for a nice, leisurely lunch.

2:00 p.m. One more class. Should I go? I should go.

3:00 p.m. Realize that I have some errands to run, professors to visit before office hours are over.

5:00 p.m. Finally, getting back to my room! See that they have a Hecht program tonight about Stress Relief. Hmm…relieve stress by finishing all the work I have to do or relieve stress by listening to someone tell me how to relieve stress? Decide to go to the program after dinner at the dining hall.

9:00 p.m. Where did the day go? Write myself a reminder to show up dance practice tomorrow for the cultural show I’m performing in. All right, I need to buckle down and get enough work done so that I’ll survive classes tomorrow. Oh yeah, I haven’t called home in a while…

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...