Know more: A day in the life of a resident student

7:15 a.m. Alarm rings. Turn over and fall asleep -it takes only 10 minutes to get from my room to the Memorial Classroom Building, if I walk fast.

7:40 a.m. Reluctantly roll out of bed, brush teeth, throw on a pair of jeans and grab my backpack. Out the door and in the elevator by 7:47 a.m. Get to philosophy and try to pay attention to what’s going on without falling asleep.

9:00 a.m. Breakfast at the dining hall. Get my usual bagel with cream cheese and-yes!-they have pineapple today. I don’t have class till 12. Be productive and get some work done, or take a nap?

11:15 a.m. I choose the nap. Shower, wear something more presentable and head out to class.

1:00 p.m. Lunchtime. Walk through the UC Breezeway and fend off the surveys and credit card offers. Sign up to volunteer this Saturday at a nursing home. Buy something at the food court. Notice that I’m running low on Dining Dollars-gotta be careful for the rest of the semester. Maybe I should start using more of those 14 meals a week I have at the dining hall. Find some friends sitting on the Rock and join them for a nice, leisurely lunch.

2:00 p.m. One more class. Should I go? I should go.

3:00 p.m. Realize that I have some errands to run, professors to visit before office hours are over.

5:00 p.m. Finally, getting back to my room! See that they have a Hecht program tonight about Stress Relief. Hmm…relieve stress by finishing all the work I have to do or relieve stress by listening to someone tell me how to relieve stress? Decide to go to the program after dinner at the dining hall.

9:00 p.m. Where did the day go? Write myself a reminder to show up dance practice tomorrow for the cultural show I’m performing in. All right, I need to buckle down and get enough work done so that I’ll survive classes tomorrow. Oh yeah, I haven’t called home in a while…

Megha Garg can be contacted at

m.garg2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...