Know more: A day in the life of a commuter student

8:00 a.m. Wake up to the sound of an alarm buzzing. Snooze for about a half-hour because class isn’t till 9:25. Stumble out of bed, check the closet and realize, “Who cares what I look like this early,” and stay in flannel PJs and sweater and simply whatever footwear requires the least effort to put on. Goofy slippers? Sneakers? Reefs? Reefs will work-it’s Miami, after all. Get backpack and CDs and drive to school, using the time to wake myself out of a sleepy slumber and get ready for class.

9:00 a.m. Pull into school parking lot. Silently congratulate myself for scheduling classes this early. Contemplate parking in the Ponce Garage, and use the few minutes the shuttle takes to get you to class to get a few minutes of extra shuteye. Go to class still feeling very much like a zombie.

10:40 a.m. Class is over, and I’ve still got an hour and a half to kill before my next class. Make some use of that time, instead of sleeping at a nearby dorm. Study in the library, catch up on reading or have lunch in the food court with friends or go back to the library and take a power nap.

Noon. Go to my car before class, and pick up some books that I didn’t feel like carrying around all day. As I walk to my spot, I shake my head that I’m not leaving to the cars that are stalking me, hoping to take my parking spot.

1:30 p.m. Class is over, but I’ve got two hours till my next one. Just enough time to hang out at the ACS-the Association for Commuter Students -go to a club meeting, or leave campus and go to the mall.

3:30 p.m. Go to class-same as usual, except with fewer sleepy people. When a project requires your group to meet outside of class, everyone picks your place over the dorms.

4:45 p.m. The day is over but the options are endless. Visit friends in their dorms, work out at the Wellness Center, or go home, lie down in a nice couch and remember my dorm days without a regret in the world. Later, much later, go to sleep. But don’t forget to set the alarm clock.

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at

n.maldonado@umiami.edu.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...