King adds excitement to men’s basketball

Hurricane basketball became the surprise sports talk of campus after impressive victories at home over N.C. State and Florida State and a formidable showing in front of a nation of ESPN viewers against Duke on Jan. 19.

With this, the Convocation Center has become the “eye of the storm” for the student body as the Category 5-sponsored Hurricane Force grows with each game. The players have been embraced by Hurricane Force by not only attendance, but also by having their names spread through the student section on T-shirts, signage and even a tuba in the band. One sign explains the impact a sophomore has had so far on the ‘Canes this season: “Not in my KINGdom.”

Standing at 6’9″, Anthony King, in his first year as the starting center, has been the enforcer in the paint the ‘Canes needed to balance with their guard play. King is second in the ACC in blocked shots behind Duke’s Shelden Williams and fourth in total rebounds and had the University’s first triple-double against Florida Atlantic.

A native of Durham, N.C., King grew up in the middle of the Mecca of college basketball, Cameron Indoor Stadium, on the campus of Duke. The Tobacco Road address placed King near three college basketball powerhouses: Duke, Wake Forest and North Carolina.

King got his start in basketball in a recreational league in elementary school. While playing prep basketball at Southern Durham High, he averaged a double-double in every game, including five blocks as a dominating power forward, and led his team to three consecutive conference titles. A computer science major, the young center spends time at his Coral Gables address online speaking to family and friends on campus and back home via instant messenger. One online trend on campus that King does not participate in is TheFacebook.

“From what I heard about TheFacebook with all these different things like messaging random people, fan clubs and poking everybody, I didn’t want to mess with it,” King said. “I don’t mess with TheFacebook.”

A big fan of rap music, on the team’s road trips King likes to listen to songs that gets him ready to play like one of his current favorites from T.I. titled “Bring ‘Em Out,” the same song that plays on the P.A. of the Convocation Center to begin player introductions for the Hurricanes, a crowd favorite.

Some of King’s most anticipated games this year are against North Carolina, Duke and Wake Forest. At the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill, King got into foul trouble early, which disappointed him.

“I got two quick fouls and I had to sit most of the first half on the bench with family and friends watching me.” King said.

Now weighing in at 229 pounds, King is getting stronger. His work ethic is a combination of his love for the game and desire to win, which he shares with his head coach.

“Like Coach Haith always says, ‘the next game is the biggest game.'”

Rodolfo Tomarchio can be contacted at

r.tomarchio@umiami.edu

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...