Iron Arrow: preserving UM history, traditions

The University of Miami is steeped in history and traditions. The oldest and most sacred of these traditions is Iron Arrow Honor Society, the highest honor attained at UM.

Iron Arrow was established as a top honor society for men one month after the University opened its doors in 1926. Officially founded by nine students, the idea for a “tap society” based on Indian traditions was that of UM’s first president, Bowman Foster Ashe. The Tribe was charged with not only creating the traditions of the new University, but also preserving its history and traditions.

In 1985, the society voted to allow women. Today, Iron Arrow is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon any individual at UM. Members are chosen based on five criteria: love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship and humility.

The society “taps” members twice a year, during Homecoming and once in the Spring semester.

One of the unique aspects of the society is its relationship with the Seminole Indian Nation. The society was created to recognize the unique and lasting contributions that this group of Native Americans made to our community and University. Iron Arrow is an official clan of the Seminole Indian nation. Members wear traditional Seminole jackets, woven by Seminole women using small pieces of cloth.

Jason Starr contributed to this article.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...