Greek life serves to enhance college experience

In Hollywoord films of the ’60s and ’70s, Greek life on college campuses nationwide was portrayed as one of wild parties, drunkenness and the socially elite. Erasing the stereotype of “frat boys” and “sorority girls” created by movies such as Animal House and National Lampoon has been a struggle for Greek organizations everywhere.

As time has passed, the focus of Greek organizations on campuses, including at the University of Miami, has changed. Fraternities and sororities have refocused their time and energy back to the convictions of brotherhood and sisterhood: scholarship, athletics and academic success.

Made up of a total of 27 Greek organizations, spread between four different national councils, the Greek community at UM offers a variety of opportunities to find the perfect fit. Focused on strong morals and ethics, Miami Greek life serves to enhance the lives of its participating students and those in the surrounding community.

The Miami Greek community excels in many areas. More than 85 percent of the leadership positions on campus are held by Greek-affiliated members, and 13 percent of the campus is Greek-affiliated. Included in this community are several University administratiors.

Active on campus, Greek organizations are highly visible during the academic year. Greek organizations participate in Homecoming and Greek Week, competing to raise money for designated philanthropies. In addition, individual fraternities and sororities hold philanthropic events to raise money for other causes such as The American Heart Association, the Ronald McDonald House and United Cerebral Palsy.

Being Greek is for life, and with it comes long-lasting ties, memories and experiences, combined with efforts for high scholarship, close relations with alumni, and strong campus and community participation.

Recruitment for Greek life begins with the Fall semester begins, formulated so that new and returning students have access to learning about each of the different Greek organizations on campus. Packets received in the summer to sign up for recruitment does not obligate a student to join a fraternity or sorority.

Michael Johnston contributed to this article.