Fashion is on the map

For those of you oblivious to the growing popularity of Miami’s serious ability to cater to food, fashion and nightlife: Pay attention. Much like cities across the country, Miami hosts several festivals and too-big-not-to-be-noticed events. Mark these down on the calendar; they should not be missed.

Funkshion

Fall and Spring

A seven-day set of festivities combining fashion and music, Funkshion is one of the rising fashion weeks of America. Rising designers pick their own music, sponsors give freebies and celebrities are abundant.

www.funkshion.com

Miami Spice Month

August is Miami Spice Month, a celebration that allows dinner guests to feast on five-star meals at a slightly more affordable price. To be exact, participating restaurants serve up gourmet lunches and dinners for $20.05 and $30.05, respectively. Miami Spice adds an extra kick to the food scene. In its fourth year, Spanish restaurant Campo Viejo is this year’s sponsor, promising some excellent events.

www.miamirestaurantmonth.com

Calle Ocho Festival

One of the largest outdoor street festivals in the country, the Calle Ocho festival is seeped in Cuban and Hispanic culture. Enjoy the sights and smells of Spanish flavor at its best and participate in the dancing-in-the-streets festival, which typically takes place in March. It is an experience one will never forget.

www.carnavalmiami.com

MTV Video Music Awards

Although this actually a one-night event, MTV and the celebrities who attend add some extra oomph to the nightlife with street parties, exclusive VIP lists, and the event itself make this a festival-caliber event. For the second year in a row, Miami will open its arms to the plethora of celebrities and the wild antics of the award show.

www.mtv.com

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...