Fashion is on the map

For those of you oblivious to the growing popularity of Miami’s serious ability to cater to food, fashion and nightlife: Pay attention. Much like cities across the country, Miami hosts several festivals and too-big-not-to-be-noticed events. Mark these down on the calendar; they should not be missed.

Funkshion

Fall and Spring

A seven-day set of festivities combining fashion and music, Funkshion is one of the rising fashion weeks of America. Rising designers pick their own music, sponsors give freebies and celebrities are abundant.

www.funkshion.com

Miami Spice Month

August is Miami Spice Month, a celebration that allows dinner guests to feast on five-star meals at a slightly more affordable price. To be exact, participating restaurants serve up gourmet lunches and dinners for $20.05 and $30.05, respectively. Miami Spice adds an extra kick to the food scene. In its fourth year, Spanish restaurant Campo Viejo is this year’s sponsor, promising some excellent events.

www.miamirestaurantmonth.com

Calle Ocho Festival

One of the largest outdoor street festivals in the country, the Calle Ocho festival is seeped in Cuban and Hispanic culture. Enjoy the sights and smells of Spanish flavor at its best and participate in the dancing-in-the-streets festival, which typically takes place in March. It is an experience one will never forget.

www.carnavalmiami.com

MTV Video Music Awards

Although this actually a one-night event, MTV and the celebrities who attend add some extra oomph to the nightlife with street parties, exclusive VIP lists, and the event itself make this a festival-caliber event. For the second year in a row, Miami will open its arms to the plethora of celebrities and the wild antics of the award show.

www.mtv.com

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...