Culture

Fashion is on the map

For those of you oblivious to the growing popularity of Miami’s serious ability to cater to food, fashion and nightlife: Pay attention. Much like cities across the country, Miami hosts several festivals and too-big-not-to-be-noticed events. Mark these down on the calendar; they should not be missed.

Funkshion

Fall and Spring

A seven-day set of festivities combining fashion and music, Funkshion is one of the rising fashion weeks of America. Rising designers pick their own music, sponsors give freebies and celebrities are abundant.

www.funkshion.com

Miami Spice Month

August is Miami Spice Month, a celebration that allows dinner guests to feast on five-star meals at a slightly more affordable price. To be exact, participating restaurants serve up gourmet lunches and dinners for $20.05 and $30.05, respectively. Miami Spice adds an extra kick to the food scene. In its fourth year, Spanish restaurant Campo Viejo is this year’s sponsor, promising some excellent events.

www.miamirestaurantmonth.com

Calle Ocho Festival

One of the largest outdoor street festivals in the country, the Calle Ocho festival is seeped in Cuban and Hispanic culture. Enjoy the sights and smells of Spanish flavor at its best and participate in the dancing-in-the-streets festival, which typically takes place in March. It is an experience one will never forget.

www.carnavalmiami.com

MTV Video Music Awards

Although this actually a one-night event, MTV and the celebrities who attend add some extra oomph to the nightlife with street parties, exclusive VIP lists, and the event itself make this a festival-caliber event. For the second year in a row, Miami will open its arms to the plethora of celebrities and the wild antics of the award show.

www.mtv.com

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...