Fashion is on the map

For those of you oblivious to the growing popularity of Miami’s serious ability to cater to food, fashion and nightlife: Pay attention. Much like cities across the country, Miami hosts several festivals and too-big-not-to-be-noticed events. Mark these down on the calendar; they should not be missed.

Funkshion

Fall and Spring

A seven-day set of festivities combining fashion and music, Funkshion is one of the rising fashion weeks of America. Rising designers pick their own music, sponsors give freebies and celebrities are abundant.

www.funkshion.com

Miami Spice Month

August is Miami Spice Month, a celebration that allows dinner guests to feast on five-star meals at a slightly more affordable price. To be exact, participating restaurants serve up gourmet lunches and dinners for $20.05 and $30.05, respectively. Miami Spice adds an extra kick to the food scene. In its fourth year, Spanish restaurant Campo Viejo is this year’s sponsor, promising some excellent events.

www.miamirestaurantmonth.com

Calle Ocho Festival

One of the largest outdoor street festivals in the country, the Calle Ocho festival is seeped in Cuban and Hispanic culture. Enjoy the sights and smells of Spanish flavor at its best and participate in the dancing-in-the-streets festival, which typically takes place in March. It is an experience one will never forget.

www.carnavalmiami.com

MTV Video Music Awards

Although this actually a one-night event, MTV and the celebrities who attend add some extra oomph to the nightlife with street parties, exclusive VIP lists, and the event itself make this a festival-caliber event. For the second year in a row, Miami will open its arms to the plethora of celebrities and the wild antics of the award show.

www.mtv.com

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...