Business peer counseling helps freshmen

The University of Miami’s Business School successfully creates an environment conducive for learning through its peer counseling program.

The program started at UM 15 years ago with just 12 peer advisors. Today, it has grown to include more than 70 peer counselors, including 10 team leaders that have created a hierarchy resulting in better relationships, increased retention among freshmen and academic achievement for those in the program.

An application and interview process begins in the Spring semester to find the most qualified and enthusiastic potential peer advisors. Over the summer, each peer counselor is paired with incoming freshmen who have declared a major or interest in the School of Business. The relationship then begins by phone and email contact so that freshmen are able to step on campus in August already knowing someone they can turn to and ask questions as they settle into life at Miami.

“The new freshmen greatly benefit by having an experienced Business student as a resource to guide them and answer their questions student to student about classes, exams and a myriad of situations, not only academics,” said Karen Donno, Academic Advisor in the School of Business. “The Peer Counselors are trained to direct freshmen to the resources and campus organizations that will assist them in a smooth transition and a successful college experience.”

Students involved in the program as peer counselors attest to the impact their own peer counselor had during their freshman year.

“Having a peer counselor when I was a freshman was a huge help to me and I know how important it was for me to have someone to talk to whenever I wasn’t sure of something. I want to be able to contribute to that and to continue helping freshman make their transition into college,” said sophomore peer counselor Callie Tomasso.

The peer counseling program has been so successful that other schools on the campus have patterned similar programs after the Business school’s outstanding advising method. Peer advising makes for an easier and systematic way of ensuring that each student’s individual needs are met and that their questions do not go unanswered. Ultimately, this allows students in the Business school to achieve more and become involved students who are concerned with their fellow peers’ triumphs as well.

“The program is successful because of the closeness of the business school admissions faculty and student bodies,” Tomasso explained. “Everyone is so friendly and ready and willing to help.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at

s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...